How to stabilise Clock speed on 3700x

Associate
I notice in CPU-Z my Clock speed jumping about constantly (PBO is turned Off) and jumping from around 2170 Mhz to 4316 Mhz and I'd rather have a stable clock speed all the time. my idle temps are hovering around 52 Degrees with a Noctua NH D15 - this is with all my usual Desktop applications Open and Internet running with multiple various tabs etc. task manager reports an average 15% load with what i normally have open. So for me, id like to stabiliser the clockspeed to get the temps down somewhat as 52 degrees idle seems high?

Associate
OP
So just downloaded a few different software packages for measuring temps.

HWMonitor Records 47-50 ish idle currently
HWinfo Beta records CPU temp @ 46 and CPU Socket Temp @31
Ryzen master Records Current CPU Idle Temp as 37-40

So not sure who to trust tbh

Soldato
The clock speeds moving is power saving, fixing your clock speed to max is going to use loads of electric and increase heat.

Soldato
So just downloaded a few different software packages for measuring temps.

HWMonitor Records 47-50 ish idle currently
HWinfo Beta records CPU temp @ 46 and CPU Socket Temp @31
Ryzen master Records Current CPU Idle Temp as 37-40

So not sure who to trust tbh

I use hw monitor so looks like you are 10 degrees higher compared to mine.

I guess you could set speeds to a low value on the cpu, but why? It will mean poor performance. How is a fluxuating speed negatively affecting you?

Associate
OP
The clock speeds moving is power saving, fixing your clock speed to max is going to use loads of electric and increase heat.

I didn't say anything about setting it to max, I just said about setting the clock speed so it gives an ideal temperature

I use hw monitor so looks like you are 10 degrees higher compared to mine.

I guess you could set speeds to a low value on the cpu, but why? It will mean poor performance. How is a fluxuating speed negatively affecting you?

Ideally I don't want it running hot all the time. Incidentally I found another thread on the forum stating that some other users are also experiencing high idle temps so at least I'm not alone and maybe a bios update may help the problrm

Soldato
I notice in CPU-Z my Clock speed jumping about constantly (PBO is turned Off) and jumping from around 2170 Mhz to 4316 Mhz and I'd rather have a stable clock speed all the time. my idle temps are hovering around 52 Degrees with a Noctua NH D15 - this is with all my usual Desktop applications Open and Internet running with multiple various tabs etc. task manager reports an average 15% load with what i normally have open. So for me, id like to stabiliser the clockspeed to get the temps down somewhat as 52 degrees idle seems high?

I don't think ryzen 3000 can do a set clock speed, even on my 4.2 all core fixed overclock the cores downclock as shown in ryzen master and the newest version of hwinfo.

Do you have recent bios / chipset drivers and also ryzen balanced power plan set all these should help with temps.

You could also try an all core Overclock at 4-4.2ghz with 1.25-1.325vcore, my ryzen 5 3600 @4.2 1.325v actually gives me much lower temps than stock. Other than that you could always try a negative voltage offset.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think ryzen 3000 can do a set clock speed, even on my 4.2 all core fixed overclock the cores downclock as shown in ryzen master and the newest version of hwinfo.

Do you have recent bios / chipset drivers and also ryzen balanced power plan set all these should help with temps.

You could also try an all core Overclock at 4-4.2ghz with 1.25-1.325vcore, my ryzen 5 3600 @4.2 1.325v actually gives me much lower temps that stock. Other than that you could always try a negative voltage offset.

Soldato
Ideally I don't want it running hot all the time. Incidentally I found another thread on the forum stating that some other users are also experiencing high idle temps so at least I'm not alone and maybe a bios update may help the problrm

There was a post about some ryzen lids/solder being ever so slightly out and running hot because of it... but I can't find the blooming post! I'll keep looking, It's also hard to say without know what cases they use, how good they are at putting the cooler on etc.... and some cooler base plates arent big enough to cover where the cores are located on the die... I'm perfectly happy with the stock RGB prism, am amazed at how good it is tbh... did you try it at all?

Edit: are you sure you are not worrying about this needlessly? If everything is okay, which is ofc worth checking, you might just have a slightly hot chip? That's okay, nothing to really worry about.

Have you considered undervolting the computer instead.
Have to be a bit careful with undervolting ryzen 3000's it seems https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psa-dont-undervolt-ryzen-3000-if-using-auto-clock-multiplier.3501169/

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom