How to support pipe?

Associate
Hi all,

we have a run from our sink waste to the soil stack, that is sagging as it has no support.
But it is about 12cm out from the wall, so the conventional clips will not work by themselves.

I can only think of putting a huge block of something 12 cm deep on wall and screwing to that.
Or.... going full bodge and just putting a huge L bracket on the wall to support it.

Also not really wanting to disturb/ remove the pipe as the connectors look fragile.

c8hsJIt.jpeg

I am sure there is an obvious solution, but my fixing brain with, house, computers, work, life just is not playing ball!

Personally if it was me, and I know you said you didn't want to disturb the fittings, I would replace that whole run with some nice clean new solvent weld pipe and refit in solvent weld.

Will look much nicer and allow you to reposition the pipe close enough to the wall to use some nice white clips.

Edit: just to point out that compression waste pipes (if that's what they are) aren't compatible with solvent (but vice versa works).

Last edited:
Wow, lots of replies cheers guys.

I had considered replacing it, as its looking a bit.... limp!
Had considered taking it closer to the wall, but wondered if it had been out that far for best practice.....
I have been out there a bit recently as a lot of the waste pipes have been siliconed in not cemented and the silicone was falling apart....

This pipe has not frozen, however.... the bath waste, which comes out almost level on that flat roof has (can just see it in photo on back right), virtually no fall. a few degrees. froze in winter last year. But that is a story for another day.

I expect they are compression fittings, will have a look at all sorts including munsen rings on a trip to wickes tomorrow!
Always been a tad worried about the solvent stuff (I have no idea why with the amount of stuff I have done in this house and learned on the way!)

I expect they are compression fittings

They're definitely compression fittings, but the question is whether the pipe coming through the wall is solvent ABS or compression.

If compression pipe, solvent won't work. If in doubt, suggest you just stick with compression fittings and replace the pipe with ABS but use compression fittings at the elbow into the wall. If that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom