How to update x570 board for Zen3

Associate
Hi all,

I've been looking at upgrading my Ryzen 1700 to a new Zen3 core Ryzen (not sure which yet, not that is matters as no where has them in stock!).

My thought is with the x570 boards that are currently available. My understanding is that they need a bios update to use the new processors. Fine, but my "old" 1700 is not compatible either. How do you update the bios if I have no compatible CPU to boot from?

Thay said by the time I am able to find a processor the boards may well already have the update!

Associate
My thought is with the x570 boards that are currently available. My understanding is that they need a bios update to use the new processors. Fine, but my "old" 1700 is not compatible either. How do you update the bios if I have no compatible CPU to boot from?

I'm fairly certain that X570 boards support 5000 series processors out of the box, without the need for a BIOS update.

Edit: I was completely wrong sorry, you may well need a BIOS update and it looks like these are the options:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
Hi all,

I've been looking at upgrading my Ryzen 1700 to a new Zen3 core Ryzen (not sure which yet, not that is matters as no where has them in stock!).

Thay said by the time I am able to find a processor the boards may well already have the update!

a lot of boards now have a usb slot that allows you to update bios without a cpu. it'll depend on the model

Associate
Updated my x570 tomahawk as I was unboxing everything else ready to build, only needed ATX/CPU power, dead easy!

If you choose a mobo with the usb>bios button you'll be fine either way. It seemed most of the mid+ ranges of boards had the functionality when I was deliberating.

Associate
Hi all,

Potentially your ryzen 1700 could be used to update your bios, as some boards support this processor, I would check before buying.
Also some x570 motherboards support bios flashback as mentioned. The MSI x570 tomohawk is a well regarded motherboard, which supports this feature.

Back
Top Bottom