How to use a PCIe riser cable between motherboard and GPU?

Associate
My system is an AMD 7600 CPU, 16GB RAM, an MSI PRO A620M-E motherboard and a 6650 XT GPU.

My issue is that, because of the motherboard layout, my GPU cooling fans are directly above the output fans of the PSU and this area is also where all the wires for the motherboard connect which makes airflow a real issue. It's fine if I keep the GPU on low power mode.

My question is whether I should use a PCIe 4.0 riser cable to give the GPU (and PSU) more airflow? there is space within the case but no obvious way to attach the GPU within the case. Any ideas on how to attach a GPU if it's not in the standard PCIe socket? I found an affordable riser cable but it's about 20cm long which is way more than I need but other cables cost a lot more. Are there any other solutions other than this or getting a better designed motherboard?

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Get a new case if you haven't got the side mount. Many people run similar to what you describe without issue. Are temps running that high, you've not given numbers?
Cables generally don't effect air flow that much if that's your biggest worry. Have you got a bottom incoming fan?
You could try increasing RPM on your lowest front fan to give the GPU some more air if no bottom case fan.

Back
Top Bottom