How was 2017 for you?

Associate
It's not been a bad year at all.

I've been sober all year and celebrated my 2nd anniversary of sobriety in Oct.
My relationships continue to improve.
I've moved house to a home and town I'm much more comfortable and happy in.
My family are all relatively content and healthy.
I'm probably slightly fitter than I was this time last year.

Really the only fly in the ointment is work, its time to move on. Perhaps even a complete change.

In 2018 I'd like to be healthier both mentally and physically. I feel like, despite the fact that things have been pretty good this year, my emotions, mood and energy levels have yo-yo'd which is an area I'm keen to establish a bit more stability in. Physically I'd like to eat a bit better, continue to teach myself to cook and rely less on pre prepared stuff, and exercise more. Again I think stability is what I'm really looking for, though perhaps here consistancy is a better word.

If I hope for anything it's that whatever 2018 brings I maintain a better level of stability and consistancy in my 'equilibrium' and am able to look back at it this time next year and see it as a year of peace and contentment, without the highs and lows I feel I've had this year.

Associate
Stressful as always. Lacking sleep. Generally a complete **** but we always get through things through love and laughter. Unfortunately family health issues are a major problem but so long as things stay on the level, we all keep ticking over. I don't expect 2018 to change much, as none of the previous years did, just the highs and lows vary slightly. I would love my son to catch a break with his health as it been a while.

Soldato
A year of ups and downs for me:

Start of the year I really let myself go physically, work was extremely stressful and led to the eventual breakdown of my relationship in July.

Since then - promotion at work and a 25% pay bump, its a role that I'm not enjoying but it will open a lot of doors for me and the extra money is coming in extremely handy.
Had the trip of a lifetime to celebrate my 35th birthday, 3 weeks travelling all over the US with the boys.
Got back in shape, I'm currently the lightest I've been in probably 13ish years, and thats including all the extra muscle mass I'm packing from my efforts in the gym.
Amazing trip to Bruges with the ex, looks like we are heading towards giving things another go.
Money problems have eased drastically, I'll be debt free by the end of this year having pulled myself out of a debt hole that seemed I would never see the end of.
Overall I'm looking good, feeling good, and I'm optimistic for 2018 despite all the setbacks in early 2017.

Soldato
Up and down for me really:

Ups
  • Got married in July
  • New job with a 40% pay rise
  • Finished my last CIPS exam

Downs
  • Not enjoying new job
  • Trying to get to grips with large debt pile
Despite the downers I'm feeling more positive about 2018. I loved our wedding day but not having that to fund and plan this year will be a massive load off, I feel positive about trying to find a new job and I think I can make inroads on the household debts.

Associate
Awful. Poorer due to price rises and health continues to decline year on year. Expect more of the same from 2018.

Never thought life would be like this at 36 years old.

Soldato
I had a good year, bought a motorbike I’d wanted since I passed my test, moved into contracting and went from 3 figure wages a week to 4, put on some weight, lost some weight, now the heaviest I’ve ever been at 14st 8 but being 5ft10 I’m in good shape, fit and healthy.

Soldato
Overall a pretty good year.
No friend or family deaths.
Still happily married, 31 years and counting.
Pension fund became paid up at 40 years in the scheme which means, once circumstances are right I can start thinking about early retirement.
Now owe less than £15k on the mortgage.
No major health concerns apart from slight weight gain.
Bought a nice new car.

Hoping 2018 will be more of the same!

And happy New Year.

Man of Honour
Pension fund became paid up at 40 years in the scheme which means, once circumstances are right

That must be a fantastic feeling - well done.

Mine was mixed.

Mother died last Christmas (16)eve but the funeral was last year (17).

Helped my dad move in the same village as us so we can keep an eye on the old fella.. The conveyancing was a nightmare.. and he sold his house, unknowingly to me before he officially bought his new one.. so he had to move in with us for 3 months.. that was tough.

Paid off Mortgage.. 7 years early.

Finally got my LRPS in Photography

Minor knee op resulting in a more serious one later this month..

My son passed his 11+ but decided not take a Grammar school post..

Still plodding along in my job..

Associate
Ups:
  • Finally moved into a house from a tiny 1 bedroom flat that I'd lived in with the girlfriend for the previous 8 years. The relief and elation from that is difficult to convey in words
  • Lots of nice new toys bought

Downs:
  • GFs mother got diagnosed with cancer. Now being treated
  • My health is getting worse, but that is my fault - I am basically a borderline alcoholic.
  • Mates are starting to get more distant, but they are still mates so that's good
  • No real progress made on paying off debts (see point 2 under Ups!)

Hopefully 2018 will be better. 2017 wasn't bad but the drinking does concern me, and I'm trying to address that from today.

Back
Top Bottom