How was 2017 for you?

Soldato
Pretty good year. It was always going to be a bit "boring" as we plan to buy 2nd house next year so this year was about saving. Still managed 4 holidays (3 abroad, 1 in Cornwall) though :)

We both moved jobs for decent payrises and gf is due another decent one in Jan.

Only downside was that my aunt died and I couldn't even get flights to go to funeral.

Plans for next year are to buy a house, new car and enjoy life a bit more.

Soldato
10 countries, 26 flights, made director and manage people on 3 continents. Quite stressy. On the downside the woman I met seems like she’s a massive screw up and is in loads of credit card debt. I don’t have the energy for a project so sadly she may have to go.

Soldato
Not great. We lost our dog to cancer in June. Can't say I've felt 'happy' ever since then. Looking forward, next year we have some big changes at work and I'm unsure about how things will pan out, so at the moment, that's worrying me.
All a bit emo over here, to be honest.

Soldato
It was an ok year.

Started off jobless with a house and Porsche 911 and Ford Focus and no girlfriend.

Ended the year having worked for NHS, sold Porsche, bought motorbike, studying my 1st choice degree at university (so tough!) and have a class 2 lorry part time job and a couple of friends but still no girlfriend.

Staying in tonight because one of my friends broke me and I'm revising. Also my mates all have kids so boring now.

Soldato
Great really.

As per previous years, I ignored all media.
Increased my overall wealth by about 22%
Kept up the gym and exercise regime and improved on my best shape ever.
Started out not liking my new job but learned to enjoy it towards the end of the year.
Became even more cynical but strangely always mentally positive.
Cut out alcohol use to pretty much non existent
Finally quit playing golf!! (damn game!)

Not necessarily one for the books but a good, solid year

Soldato
2017 has been ok for me, health is still not great but doesn't seem to be getting worse so that's good. Had a fair bit of fun, kept head above water with finances, and am going into 2018 with spare cash which is nice.
Lost a couple of friends due to illness and one suicide, and today just found out that a good friend has a life changing medical issue. They were having a great year until that hit in December...
Be grateful for what you have, and have fun while you can is my motto, because it could all come crashing down tomorrow.

Caporegime
As pointless and meaningless as the years that came before it. You distract yourself from all the disasters and all the things that are messed up, you watch a bit of TV and play some vidya, continue not doing anything of real value, and start drinking to numb the perpetual feeling of discontent clawing away behind your eyes. You resolve to use less run-on sentences for the coming year.

Associate
Be grateful for what you have, and have fun while you can is my motto, because it could all come crashing down tomorrow.

2017 was an eye-opener, a few trips as a visitor to a local hospital made me really re-evaluate my life. A friend of mine is a Nurse in a major trauma clinic and hearing the stories, hammered home how lucky I am.

It really made me re-evaluate life. Whilst I have now adopted an attitude to try and live for today. Don't get me wrong I have not had a zenith moment where I will chuck myself off a cliff in a squirrel suit. I am a fatalist - What will be will be. I always believe in small steps which will make a difference and well, hope for the best.

Soldato
Highlights in no particular order:
  • Paid off my debt
  • Doubled my savings
  • Traveled to two European cities that I hadn't visited before (Paris and Budapest)
  • Obtained a degree equivalent diploma
  • Two pay rises
  • Improved health (Ulcerative Colitis for sixteen years, getting control of it now)
  • Mother well on her way to recovery from Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma
  • New hobbies (clay pigeon shooting, coffee brewing, reading, cooking, investing)
  • Improving old hobbies (photography)
  • Amazing video game year, gaming being my favourite hobby of them all, my God Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey got me through some bad times, thank you Nintendo).
Low-points:
  • Mother getting Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
  • My one remaining grandparent's health is deteriorating (93 years old, but still doing okay)
  • Being bitten by a stranger whilst trying to stop a fight - only the other day actually - which is now freaking me out health wise, scheduled to have more blood tests and vaccines shortly
  • Couple of bad nights out, I've figured I pretty much do not enjoy the nightclub scene of vibes or alcohol in excess anymore...
  • Failing an exam in January (but later passed it, as per above, but it was a low point)
  • Death of business friend of the family, aggressive cancer and only relatively young
  • Further pressures for marriage and having children from family etc.
A strong 7/10 for me, 2017. Despite feeling particularly good about the year that result should be higher, but there's a general unease eating away inside of me which I can't quite put into words. I don't think it's depression or nihilism but as I'm getting older I feel a little less attached to the things that used to give me comfort. It's really something, as I said, I can't put into words that well, despite trying to with my long term girlfriend.

For 2018 I'd like to buy our first house, travel to more places we've never been (Nordic countries hopefully), and continue to improve on all the things I have this year (knowledge, health and hopefully some more happiness).

Soldato
2017 could have been a whole lot worse but I have gone backwards in life quite dramatically with the way it has unfolded really so I really hope I can pull myself out of the mire I feel in and make 2018 a lot better, physically mentally and financially.

Back
Top Bottom