HP DM1

Associate
this little laptop is suprisingly good for occasional gaming plays world of tanks fine on medium settings which i m well supprised at as WOT maxed out use to lag very slightly on my old gtx280 card in i5 system. i would have thought that htis dm1 would have needed lowest of the low settings:confused:

Associate
I'm nearly ready to go and buy one of these little machines (dm1-4004sa/4027sa), but I just want to be sure that I have the right tools to change the machine from Win 32 bit to 64 bit (I do understand this requires a fresh install), without buying a new Win 7 licence. People have previously posted that they've had no problems doing this with an OEM Win 7 install disc. I have an external USB DVD RW drive and the Win 7 64 bit install DVD that came with a copy of Win 7 upgrade that I used on my old laptop (so that licence is now linked to that machine). Would this disc be suitable to make the change (has anyone done this with dm1-4004/4027) or do I need an HP OEM Win 7 disc (if so, does this come in the laptop retail box or do you have to download it from somewhere)?

Soldato
OP
Well IMO that is extremely silly, i have a Samsung NC20 with a 12.1`screen and that definately is classified as a netbook so to me a slightly smaller screen than that is a netbook whatever the OS on it is.

Also check out user reviews of 11.6` netbooks, the vast majority of people use the word netbook in their reviews, check out amazon.

Regardless, there is actually a definition that manufactures and Microsoft use when it comes to these machines - and screen size isn't the differentiator.

Although there is no specific spec published I don't think, a 'netbook' at the moment will be Atom (or AMD Neo?) based with 2gb of RAM and Windows 7 Starter.

I'm nearly ready to go and buy one of these little machines (dm1-4004sa/4027sa), but I just want to be sure that I have the right tools to change the machine from Win 32 bit to 64 bit (I do understand this requires a fresh install), without buying a new Win 7 licence. People have previously posted that they've had no problems doing this with an OEM Win 7 install disc. I have an external USB DVD RW drive and the Win 7 64 bit install DVD that came with a copy of Win 7 upgrade that I used on my old laptop (so that licence is now linked to that machine). Would this disc be suitable to make the change (has anyone done this with dm1-4004/4027) or do I need an HP OEM Win 7 disc (if so, does this come in the laptop retail box or do you have to download it from somewhere)?

I used a generic non-HP copy of OEM. I don't think the copy you have would let you use the HP license by the sounds of it, but I can't be sure.

Soldato
Well IMO that is extremely silly, i have a Samsung NC20 with a 12.1`screen and that definately is classified as a netbook so to me a slightly smaller screen than that is a netbook whatever the OS on it is.

Also check out user reviews of 11.6` netbooks, the vast majority of people use the word netbook in their reviews, check out amazon.

Doesn't matter what the users call it, it doesn't make it so. You could have have an 11" system with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM; that clearly isn't going to be a netbook, and it isn't going to be priced like one either.

Associate

i downloaded a legal generic copy of 64bit win 7 then once downloaded move to a usb pen via usb/dvd tool from microsoft and just boot from that........the win 7 key from behind the battery worked fine :)

You can download the ISO images from Digital River (official online provider for Microsoft):

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-is​o-official-direct-download-links/

These images are legal, but you need to have a valid license key. For the dm1, you can re-use your Win7 32bit key for installing Win7-64bit.

Associate
i downloaded a legal generic copy of 64bit win 7 then once downloaded move to a usb pen via usb/dvd tool from microsoft and just boot from that........the win 7 key from behind the battery worked fine :)

You can download the ISO images from Digital River (official online provider for Microsoft):

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-is​o-official-direct-download-links/

These images are legal, but you need to have a valid license key. For the dm1, you can re-use your Win7 32bit key for installing Win7-64bit.

Very many thanks Electroshadow, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm off to get a new laptop :)

Associate
im sat here at work (waiting for the bus anyway)

this little thing will play world of tanks on medium setting tethered through my dell streak quite playable with a ping of 120ms.....

Associate
Good stuff, just what I wanted to know as I have 8Gb of RAM sat at home out of my old machine, may as well put it to good use, woul dbe no good on 32bit.

Associate
When I say old machine, my old machine was a new Lenovo x121 (dm1 in different clothes) which came with 2Gb and I bought 2x4Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 for 30quid to upgrade it, but that laptop broke, So its new stuff :)

Associate
Im hoping that someone over at mini hp comes up with a hacked bios for these notebook. As these little fusions quite easily oc up to 1.8ghz wwith out any voltage increase, although the gpu auto disables after 1.8ghz

Associate
Depends on your definition of better, there is an i3 and e350 version, I took the 350 version, only thing that was better was that it was x64 from he off, and slimmer, but this I think effects build quality, my screen cracked when I was opening it and adjusting the laptop, something I have done on a lot of laptops, didn't think its build would hold up to being thrown in a travel bag, so returned for a refund.

Had a good play with a 350 DM1 thought it was a bit more robust, still not up to my current eeepc 1000H but hopefully it will survive longer in my hands than the 5 hrs of the x121 :D so have a 450 DM1 at home waiting to be opened.

more interested in undervolting and getting battery life +

Back
Top Bottom