HP DM1

Associate
Unfortunately due to taiwan the price has gone through the roof, I have a couple in other machines and at 70quid for 500Gb it represented good value, current prices not so much, I can wait.

Associate
Who's to say the prices will ever come back down that low, £130 is not bad I was seeing it for £200 which is near proper SSD territory.

Also you have to be careful as momentus and momentus XT have very similar product code and are very different drives.

Associate
I was considering the DM1-4027 for ages but for the same price (with discount code) you can get the i3 thinkpad x121e and its 64 bit windows 7 standard. So for me it had to be the latter. I have yet to see a DM1 in this country for a similiar price with the i3.

Associate
I now have my DM1-4027 and have installed Win x64......which was fine apart from the time to download drivers from HP and windows updates (my internet connection is 800 kbps at best). Needless to say it's all running sweet now and I'm loving it already.

Now to test whether it'll play COD MW2 at average settings. I only expected this computer to be a half way house between my old netbook and my old laptop, but if it can play games on a part time basis I'll be well happy :)

Associate
i have not tried COD or anything but its fine for the likes of:

world of tanks on med settings
EVE on med to high
World of warcraft ( update will run wow on high setting with x4 aa)

to be honest although the i3 trounses the amd in benchmarks the E450 dosent seem much difference in real life usage. I think that its down to the gpu and new catalyst drivers

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck with that.

Its priced at a level that represents its overall performance, a £240 Atom based netbook with crap intel graphics won't come close.

Soldato
Good luck with that.

Its priced at a level that represents its overall performance, a £240 Atom based netbook with crap intel graphics won't come close.

The CPU performance of the AMD Fusion CPU is disappointing, there is no getting away from that. It performs barely faster than the Intel Atom range of CPUs.

An Atom based netbook can be bought for ~£150.

So you are saying that is worth £200 for the integrated HD 6320 graphics?!

While the HD 6320 graphics are vastly better than the Atoms offerings, in the scheme of it all the HD 6320 isn't going to be ripping games apart. Is it?

Again, my opinion is that the price tag on the DM1 is way too high. I really don't think it is such an outrageous statement as you are making out.

Last edited:
Associate
the build quality of the dm1 over other netbooks and some notebooks is at least worth £50 but yes it is a personal preference.....

then there is the enhanced HD audio and the gpu and hdmi out and N wifi which is worth about £100.so i reckon the perfect price would be £300 dead on IMHO

but then again it is a buisness expense to a nice free toy...

Associate
Finally got all the updates for COD MW2 downloaded and installed via Steam. It runs multi-player on 1024x768 with AA at x2 and other settings on auto or set to system recommended. The frame rate is not great though, so I guess dropping the resolution a little will fix this. Still impressive for a light cheap laptop.

Back
Top Bottom