HP DM1

Associate
If anyone is thinking about buying this, the DM1-4004sa is available direct from HP for £296 delivered with a 10% discount through vouchercode.co.uk; the code is valid until Wednesday. Very good deal in my view. Think the 4004sa has a marginally improved graphics card over the 4027sa.

Associate
how dose the DM1-4004sa have improved graphics over the DM1-4027sa? are they not using the same APU the E-450 as these laptops do not have graphics cards.

i cant find the difference on the hp website

very good price though £50 cheaper than what i paid :(

Associate
how dose the DM1-4004sa have improved graphics over the DM1-4027sa? are they not using the same APU the E-450 as these laptops do not have graphics cards.

i cant find the difference on the hp website

very good price though £50 cheaper than what i paid :(

PC components always go down in price, so don't feel too bad about it - you've had longer usage of it than someone purchasing now. Plus it's still a great PC for £349.

The DM1-4027sa has the AMD Radeon HD 6310 whilst the DM1-4004sa has the AMD Radeon HD 6320 - I'm told there's very little difference between the two cards though; maybe the 6320 has slightly better graphics acceleration? I'm not well schooled enough in such matters to know.

Associate
no both have the HD6320 there is no difference

its the old amd e350 that had the HD6310 All amd E450 have HD6320

Double checks his DM1-4027ea .......Yep HD6320

You're right. Sorry for the scare -** Linking to competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **
Not sure what precisely is the difference between the DM1-4004sa and the DM-4027sa now!

Associate
Not sure what precisely is the difference between the DM1-4004sa and the DM-4027sa now!

By checking the specification sheet for the 4027sa (http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5177010) and for the 4004sa (http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5198197) it seems they are exactly the same.

The only visible difference -which may as well be just due to an error in the listings- is the colour; the 4027sa looks darker than the 4004sa.

But since for both the colour is listed as charcoal grey, probably it's just a matter of wrong image for one of them...

Associate
Might find its the same machine, shops like **** negotiate there own model when buying, it was the same when I bought my Samsung TV there was a model you could get in most shops then there was the ***** variant which had an additional M in the code, meant you couldn't price match as it was not the same model (though technically it was identical)

Associate
yeah PC World special that is, ***** add extra coding to items in their shops to stop their employees in store matching there only prices as the computer will not let the store match the price unlessthe product codes match.

ive wasted quite a bit in petrol money going into store thinking that they would match their only prices, especially holding a buisness account as well. But the last tech guy i spoke to in store explaned the new situation to me about their new product codes even though the products are obviously the same piece of kit.

back to internet shopping again then :(.

i would pay up to £3-£8 more for an item (then online prices) depending on what it was if i could hold it in my hands before buying. but not double the price like it seems to be with these stores.

Associate
I almost bought the 4004sa off the HP site but ended up getting the 4027ea *** instead. They are identical though, **** the HD6310 graphics but it is definitely the HD6320!

I am a little gutted as I paid like £20 more than that only a week ago!

** The mentioning or hinting name of competitors and their products is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Associate
I almost bought the 4004sa off the HP site but ended up getting the 4027ea ***. They are identical though, ****the HD6310 graphics but it is definitely the HD6320!

I am a little gutted as I paid like £20 more than that only a week ago!

I am inclined to agree that these PCs are identical in specification. The HP product spec for this PC indicates the 4027ea has identitical graphics to the 4004sa: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c03047946.pdf. So does the 4027sa: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c02985059.pdf

So basically all 3 of these PCs come with the same AMD Radeon graphics (HD 6320M). I am more inclined to trust the manufacturer specification than ***** instore staff.

Associate
all of the dm1- 4000 series are the same apart from either a 320gb or 640gb hard drive. (i found a internal hp spec sheet detailing the 4000 series as a whole and that was the only difference.

i think that you will also find that these laptops come with the HD6320 not the HD6320M as the M only has shared memory and the HD6320 has a dedicated 384mb + can run shared as well :) although i have not worked this out yet.

one other thing can you check you product code under the battery and tell me if your ***** bought laptops are actually DM1-4027ea not sa ive spoke HP and they have stated that currys should not of been selling the ea spec ones as they are entertainment computers with slightly enhanced audio and some other internal features. HP also said that the sa stands for standard as in standard model.

now go check the HP barcodes on the boxes :)

** The mentioning or hinting name of competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Associate
all of the dm1- 4000 series are the same apart from either a 320gb or 640gb hard drive. (i found a internal hp spec sheet detailing the 4000 series as a whole and that was the only difference.

i think that you will also find that these laptops come with the HD6320 not the HD6320M as the M only has shared memory and the HD6320 has a dedicated 384mb + can run shared as well :) although i have not worked this out yet.

one other thing can you check you product code under the battery and tell me if your **** bought laptops are actually DM1-4027ea not sa ive spoke HP and they have stated that currys should not of been selling the ea spec ones as they are entertainment computers with slightly enhanced audio and some other internal features. HP also said that the sa stands for standard as in standard model.

now go check the HP barcodes on the boxes :)

One wonders how ****** got hold of them if HP didn't intend them to sell it. HP told me that the dm1-4020sa would not be available in the UK but then a couple of days later ***** were selling it, so I really don't understand how they got hold of that either.

** The mentioning or hinting name of competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Associate
one other thing can you check you product code under the battery and tell me if your **** bought laptops are actually DM1-4027ea not sa ive spoke HP and they have stated that ****should not of been selling the ea spec ones as they are entertainment computers with slightly enhanced audio and some other internal features. HP also said that the sa stands for standard as in standard model.

It concerns me that the sa and ea may be different, they all seem to offer Beats Audio and have same graphics, so what other 'enhanced' things might there be?

Having spent some time this morning ploughing through this thread and doing some internet research, it seems that there are basically just 2 variants of the DM1, the only difference being the hard drive size.
4027sa/4027ea/4004sa - 320GB HDD
4020sa/4020ea - 500GB HDD

Does everyone agree?

The HP website lists the RRP of the 500GB as £330 (so barely any different to the 320GB model), but the 500GB doesn't seem to be in the shops yet. It seems that most shops are listing the sa rather than ea variants, but hopefully that doesn't make any odds.

Finally, there's no sign of a Core i3 powered model just yet. Reviews and US prices suggest it will cost about 50% more (ie. £450 or £500, at a guess) but an external DVD burner will be bundled with it.

Last edited:
Associate
i agree, as i think that they are all the same to be honest.... although i have an ea :p

i also think imo that the i3 ones are too expensive even with the dvd burner, how much are external buners £22 (even in store at the purple shop)

my advise to anyone would be buy the cheapest one with the smallest hard drive what is it now £250 - 270. (xmas sale price i though i had seen somewhere)

then buythese upgrades for not a lot:

seagate hybrid drive 500gb £60 -99
8gb of ram pc1066 1333mhz £22-26

could even sale the bundled 4gb of ram and 320gb hard drive.... upgrades would be quite cost effective then.

Now to carry on my search for the PLL on these laptops. As i have had a chat with guy at setfsb and if we can find the PLL No. on the motherboard he is quite sure that he will be able to overclock the cpu.

Associate
It concerns me that the sa and ea may be different, they all seem to offer Beats Audio and have same graphics, so what other 'enhanced' things might there be?

Having spent some time this morning ploughing through this thread and doing some internet research, it seems that there are basically just 2 variants of the DM1, the only difference being the hard drive size.
4027sa/4027ea/4004sa - 320GB HDD
4020sa/4020ea - 500GB HDD

Does everyone agree?

The HP website lists the RRP of the 500GB as £330 (so barely any different to the 320GB model), but the 500GB doesn't seem to be in the shops yet. It seems that most shops are listing the sa rather than ea variants, but hopefully that doesn't make any odds.

Finally, there's no sign of a Core i3 powered model just yet. Reviews and US prices suggest it will cost about 50% more (ie. £450 or £500, at a guess) but an external DVD burner will be bundled with it.

Agreed - there seems to be 2 models based on the AMD processor, one with a 320GB hard drive the other with 500GB. *** ***

** The mentioning or hinting name of competitors is strictly prohibited. As too is their pricing - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Associate
Agreed - there seems to be 2 models based on the AMD processor, one with a 320GB hard drive the other with 500GB. ****** had the 4020sa for a short time a couple of weeks ago, and priced it at £261. Sadly they no longer seem to have stock.

The Intel one looks like its going to cost quite a lot if its £450 and above; for an Intel CPU 11" notebook the Lenovo x121e looks better priced.
I was considering getting one of these and in the end I went for the i3 Lenovo x121e. It is not perfect but I did get to try out HP DM1-4027 which my friend owns. All I can say is I definatly made the right choice. With the promo on lenovo website its maybe £20 extra when going with the i3 version but it is definatly worth it. I got the i3 version and upgraded the wireless card and battery when customising it on the website. It was still under £400 (with promo). The build quality is better, its much faster, easier to type on. I do not like the trackpads on either but the lenovo has the nipple thing. My friend has tried mine and since its not that much more expensive she wishes she had got my own instead of hers. Do not get me wrong its not a bad especially when you consider its price, just there are other options out there in the same price bracket.

Associate
I was considering getting one of these and in the end I went for the i3 Lenovo x121e. It is not perfect but I did get to try out HP DM1-4027 which my friend owns. All I can say is I definatly made the right choice. With the promo on lenovo website its maybe £20 extra when going with the i3 version but it is definatly worth it. I got the i3 version and upgraded the wireless card and battery when customising it on the website. It was still under £400 (with promo). The build quality is better, its much faster, easier to type on. I do not like the trackpads on either but the lenovo has the nipple thing. My friend has tried mine and since its not that much more expensive she wishes she had got my own instead of hers. Do not get me wrong its not a bad especially when you consider its price, just there are other options out there in the same price bracket.

I was worried about the frequent reports of fan noise from the Lenovo - though I tried one out in a shop and I have to admit it wasn't noticeable in a store environment. But I don't need the CPU power the Lenovo offers (last laptop had a single cell celeron and was fine) so decided to pay £100 less and get the DM1. The Lenovo didn't look nice to me, aesthetically, but it does have a good keyboard. Agreed on trackpad being disappointing on both these machines. Nice to get 500gb of HD space on the DM1. If I wanted an i3 11" laptop though, I'd definitely opt for the Lenovo given the prices being touted for the DM1 with that processor.

Back
Top Bottom