HP laptop, opinions needed?

Man of Honour
can get a lenovo y910 for £1100 cheaper
it's not as good as the omen in your post, but its 95% of the way there, but being 60% of the price

Associate
make sure you extend that warranty, HP won't have anything to do with you outside of the warranty unless you pay.

Soldato
Still trying to find the right PC for myself, looking to order tomorrow, so wanted to gauge people's opinions on this laptop, it has a 120Hz IPS display which is what I wanted but is it any good? What's the build quality like on these HP's? Cooling etc...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-o...-intel-i7-7820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-03j-hp.html

Thanks guys :)

Having an Omen myself now, essentially the model below that, I'll warn you that the 120Hz IPS seems a bit of a panel lottery. The response time on some of them (not sure if all) is not amazing, so it does have a slight ghosting/trailing issue, which honestly surprised me, as you'd not expect it from a 120Hz Gsync panel. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable if you're sensitive to that sort of stuff. I'm chatting with HP about it, as seems a strange omission/issue for the premium gaming line to have, incase I've got a worse than usual one. Beyond that its a decent matte laptop screen however; the colour/contrast etc is all reasonable, and mine doesnt have a huge amount of backlight bleed or IPS glow or the likes.

That said, on these latest Omen machines, the build quality bar monitor/lid and cooling seem pretty good. I have the 7700HQ, 1060GB 6GB 17" (non max-Q)version, and honestly bar it needing an SSD and 16GB RAM over the 7200RPM HDD and 8GB it came with, I've very little bad to say about the machine beyond that panel. Only other downside is I don't seem to have the best 1060 GPU as noticed mine hits vbios power limit a lot and limits clocks down because of it, but GPU lottery and all that, its still got performance right up there with many gaming laptops and an ideal desktop replacement because of it. Its not a cooling issue, as GPU-Z mentions the limitation is power related, and the temps are pretty good!

Got a thunderbolt port too, so can move to eGPU later on if the onboard becomes too slow for you...

Got a cracking deal on it (less than half that price, with a VR headset included) so the RAM/lack of built in-SSD is kinda excusable :)
The M.2 port on them is pci-e enabled too, believe HP use Samsung SP951/961 drives if yours come prefitted, so performance on those is good. The 7200rpm mine came with is janky so being relegated to storage drive ASAP haha

Sound isn't terrible for a laptop either ;)

If you didn't want to spend so much, I believe the less than half price with the 7700HQ / 1060 offer is still around, just no headset now, which was a blinding deal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom