hp ms or nas?

Soldato
After something to put on network to stream videos from to a rasp pi and Xbox 360. Currently got a 3tb red and possibly will get atleast one more so need atleast 2 bays. Also would like it to download torrents however the torrent programs to have a scheduler as live in sticks with rubbish DSL connection. Also would like it to turn off auto automatically after not being used for a bit. Lastly like it to be power n sound friendly as prob behind a sofa in living room.

I did look at a few cheap NAS units however they don't seem to have torrent schedulers and the fact they use their own file system worries me a little as if unit goes **** up how do I get my data?

I did look at a n40l microserver which uses a little more power than most NAS boxes and unsure what os I would need / be ideal

Any ideas ? Budget cheap as poss However as been looking at the hp which is 140 + software (unless can re use a retail win7 or xp) guess that's the max!

Soldato
I'd go with the Microserver personally. It's obviously a bit more faffing around at first what with installing OS etc but it gives you much more flexibility.

I built my own box (before I knew of the Microservers being so cheap) ages ago which is an Atom-based thing. I was putting in four 2TB drives which were already NTFS formatted with stuff on them already so a Windows-based box was pretty much my only option.

Mine's running Windows Server 2008 R2 and is also running a domain controller which I use for a couple of things. It's a total overkill of course but Windows 7 would do the job nicely for network shares and running your downloads etc.

Back
Top Bottom