HP Omen 15 vs Asus FX503

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking for a 15" GTX1050Ti/GTX1060 Laptop for around £1k, and I have identified these two as my favourites of what I have seen so far.

Was wondering if any owners out there of these that would like to feedback on whether they would recommend either one?

Thanks!

Matt

Associate
The HP omen is available for £1099 which has a 6gb 1060 and 120hz ips display. Its probably the best spec I've seen for this price range new.

Caporegime
Unfortunately, I've been reading a total horror story about HP support in the UK on another forum where a guy sent in his Gsync laptop for repair and they sent it back minus the Gsync. Three months later they eventually offered him a new laptop as a replacement. But I wouldn't touch HP now after reading it.

Dell laptops can be had in the same price range but without the Gsync. But you can get onsite warranty.

Associate
Unfortunately there are no dell Inspirons in the price range of the HP and Asus currently on the outlet. I'm personally swaying towards the omen due to the great spec and reviews it has. Sure there are the odd horror stories from CS but so has every manufacturer. It's the chance you take I guess.

The Asus though has an identical spec but without the 120hz screen. I guess what I'm asking is that worth an extra £100?

Associate
I'm also in the market for this level of laptop and per the above post the Omen with 1060 6gb at £1099 seems to be best deal around. I'm this close to pulling the trigger but the HP support angle has made me pause for thought..

Associate
Any thoughts on the dell Inspiron 7577? I can get a 15.6 refurb with an i7 7700, 16gb ram, 1050ti 4GB, 128gb ssd and 1TB HDD for £780 with a discount.

Caporegime
Any thoughts on the dell Inspiron 7577? I can get a 15.6 refurb with an i7 7700, 16gb ram, 1050ti 4GB, 128gb ssd and 1TB HDD for £780 with a discount.

Not heard anything bad about them, the screen might be not the best but for the price it's supposed to be an excellent buy.

Soldato
Not heard anything bad about them, the screen might be not the best but for the price it's supposed to be an excellent buy.

My friend has one but with a 1060 6GB, it looks lovely and performs very well. I have the previous model model 6700HQ and 960m. If anything i prefer the old 7000 series styling, I can take it to work and it looks quite business like. The new one is more unusual, aggressive fan grills on the back and a more "gamer" style. Can't really fault Dell though. Sure it's not as premium as some more expensive machines but you get what you pay for

Associate
Yeah it's a great spec for the price. I'm not too fussed about maxing all new games. It's more for football manager and my steam backlog from 2016 and earlier.

Associate
OP
I'm also in the market for this level of laptop and per the above post the Omen with 1060 6gb at £1099 seems to be best deal around. I'm this close to pulling the trigger but the HP support angle has made me pause for thought..

I am looking at the well specced Omen 15 from the upmarket green & white department store. Its a little more at £1179, but comes with a 3 year warranty from them - if that makes a difference to you.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately there are no dell Inspirons in the price range of the HP and Asus currently on the outlet. I'm personally swaying towards the omen due to the great spec and reviews it has. Sure there are the odd horror stories from CS but so has every manufacturer. It's the chance you take I guess.

The Asus though has an identical spec but without the 120hz screen. I guess what I'm asking is that worth an extra £100?

I believe the upper spec HP Omen 15 I am looking at has a 7200rpm HD, as opposed to the 5400rpm of the ASUS. I am not 100% sure of that though!

Apart from that, there is little to seperate them. Apparently the Omen's screen is really good.

Associate
I am looking at the well specced Omen 15 from the upmarket green & white department store. Its a little more at £1179, but comes with a 3 year warranty from them - if that makes a difference to you.

Thanks for the reply and the heads up! I'd already pulled the trigger on the £1099 deal and plumped for next day delivery so it's currently sitting installing fortnite after what seemed like a ludicrously lengthy spell of windows updates. Difficult to give any detail regarding performance etc but first impressions include:

1. box ;) heavily damaged on arrival. Single (sharp) point of impact on the outer box continuing into the inner foam section but not to the laptop itself thankfully! Probably a DPD issue rather than supplier but still not quite the start I was hoping for..
2. I like the aesthetics and it feels nice (if only it were an all metal chassis though)
3. Hinge creaked on first opening...not sure how much to read into it but less than stellar first impression
3. Display does seem really smooth and vivid but not really taxed it yet
4. Bloatware...I'd read about it but it's more annoying than i expected it to be. Notifications and subscriptions ahoy. Need to get rid pronto!

So, good overall but a few niggles...will update the thread once I've had a proper play :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply and the heads up! I'd already pulled the trigger on the £1099 deal and plumped for next day delivery so it's currently sitting installing fortnite after what seemed like a ludicrously lengthy spell of windows updates. Difficult to give any detail regarding performance etc but first impressions include:

1. box ;) heavily damaged on arrival. Single (sharp) point of impact on the outer box continuing into the inner foam section but not to the laptop itself thankfully! Probably a DPD issue rather than supplier but still not quite the start I was hoping for..
2. I like the aesthetics and it feels nice (if only it were an all metal chassis though)
3. Hinge creaked on first opening...not sure how much to read into it but less than stellar first impression
3. Display does seem really smooth and vivid but not really taxed it yet
4. Bloatware...I'd read about it but it's more annoying than i expected it to be. Notifications and subscriptions ahoy. Need to get rid pronto!

So, good overall but a few niggles...will update the thread once I've had a proper play :)

Cool - very interested in how you get on with it! Looking forward to your review :)

Associate
Suggest you extend the warranty if you only have the standard 1 year, better to be safe than sorry. Once out of warranty there's basically no support.

Back
Top Bottom