HP Omen Owners?

Caporegime
Yeah, how hot does it get after you've been gaming for a while and does it affect game performance?

I've only ever owned one gaming laptop, a Dell, and that thing used to cause games to crash when the GPU got too hot.

Is the screen good?

Could you post a few pics?

Associate
I've only just had chance to sit down and have a proper play. I'd bought a 2nd disc to fit in anticipation however after opening it up (with some difficulty) I've found space for an extra 2.5" drive but no sata connector.

What is really odd the exact model can also be bought with a smaller m2 drive plus a 1tb sata drive so I'm really confused and cheesed off at the minute.

Caporegime
I'm confused. What were the specs that you bought? A 256GB M.2 SSD and a 1TB HDD?

I've not read anywhere that you can add a third storage device such as second SSD or second HDD.

Associate
It was an assumption I made (first mistake) based on them being similar.

The 15-ax200na, the one I bought stated the 256gb M.2, nothing else.
The 15-ax205na, same price, same spec except it lists as a 128gb M.2 and a 1tb HDD

The caddy space is in the laptop and there is also an unused header on the board right where one would expect to see the SATA connector for you to slot a 2nd SSD in.

Bitterly dissapointed about it, I could always send back the Samsung 500gb 2.5" i've bought and replace the onboard M.2 with a 512gb. But still feel a bit cheated out of the 2nd option.

Caporegime
Oh, I see! I didn't realise they sold them with SSDs only.

Yes, there is a drive bay for the HDD as you say but the hard drive connector and cable is a detachable part which they obviously don't give you in a HDD-less model.

Number 1 in this image...

LlIQDtg.png

Having read the docs, it seems the best set up is the 256GB M.2 SSD (which is the PCI express model as the 128GB one is "value" or SATA) and a 1TB HDD which is 7200rpm as the 2TB is 5400rpm.

Associate
Sadly that wasn't within my budget, i've been looking at around the 900-1000 mark.

I'm going to return the 500gb SSD i've bought and purchase a 512gb M.2 and also sell the 256gb M.2 that came with it, that;ll offset the cost of a bigger M.2

Caporegime
I've been trying to find the HDD cable and brackets but HP won't sell them directly as they are not user replaceable parts and all the HP stockists have zero in stock or long lead times, prices vary from £25 to £45.

And it seems that in order to go higher than 256GB M.2 (incl. 1 TB HDD) you are in the 17" W line which are all £1400+. Yikes.

Associate
Yep it's annoying, the only alternative is to buy the 15" model with a 128gb & 1tb hdd then upgrade both of these. A little more expensive but at least you know the SATA connector is in that version.

Caporegime
I've ordered the Hp pavilion instead, identical spec to the Hp omen but has 16gb ram. Was £999 but had a 6% off voucher code so ended up only 10 more than the omen.

That's the bc202na? HP are annoying. They must reserve the extra memory for the top of the line models. To get 16GB in an Omen, you need to spend £1899.

I've seen a Gigabyte model on OcUK which has better specs than the Omen I was looking at, so I might just go for that instead.

Associate
Did you get the laptop yet or have you just ordered it? I've been looking at that one as well as the specs are very similar to the Omen but it has 16GB ram.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I've just had an email from HP this afternoon to say it's being delivered tomorrow, estimated was 13th Feb so happy it's coming sooner. However it might just be the Sleeve I purchased as well :D

Caporegime
There's another Pavilion model for £999 which just appeared today which seems identical to the bc202na but has a 17" screen and double the VRAM from 2GB to 4GB in the 1050 card. :confused: (17-ab200na)

Back
Top Bottom