HPET high precision event timer

Soldato
Hello guys do you have this enabled or disabled in BIOS? I just Disabled it tonight for first time and I noticed right away more performance in games my mouse and everything seemed much more smoother :D

So what do you guys use enabled or disabled? And do you notice any change?

Permabanned
Always off with HPET.On paper it seems fine but in reality there are many bad reports like stutter in bf3 that went away when disabling HPET.

I always run with HPET and repeatkeys off when gaming.Seems smoother too!

Soldato
OP
Cant say on FPS improved because I use vsync and locked at 60fps. But since switching this off my games seems smoother. Defoe worth checking out if you have this enabled.

how do you define 'more performance' in games? - are you getting higher frame rates? or faster load times?

How exactly is the mouse use improved?

Soldato
I found out when I was trying to fix stutter when I had a G840 in my machine.

That's interesting!

I've been having an issue with video stuttering when streaming online as well as playing MW3 & Dead Island.

I'm not sure if it's my HDD as all my games are installed on my 1tb Spinpoint which spins at 5400rpm??

I've got a 120gb SSD coming in the hope it might fix it but would like more assistance???

I've done things like memtest86+, 3DMark06, FurMark & Western Digital LifeGuard and all is looking good.

Not sure what else to try?!

Soldato
OP
You really should get game onto 7200rpm driver. The SSD you will see a massive difference in system performance and game loading.

That's interesting!

I've been having an issue with video stuttering when streaming online as well as playing MW3 & Dead Island.

I'm not sure if it's my HDD as all my games are installed on my 1tb Spinpoint which spins at 5400rpm??

I've got a 120gb SSD coming in the hope it might fix it but would like more assistance???

I've done things like memtest86+, 3DMark06, FurMark & Western Digital LifeGuard and all is looking good.

Not sure what else to try?!

Soldato
You really should get game onto 7200rpm driver. The SSD you will see a massive difference in system performance and game loading.

I'm waiting for the delivery of a 120gb SSD which will replace my current 60gb SSD being used as s OS drive. The 60gb will then be used for Steam and the only 2 games I'm playing.

The Samsung was never really intended for the purpose it's currently being used for. It'll simply move to being a data store for pics, music & vids.

Eventually, I want to have x2 Samsung 256gb SSD'd but I'm a while from that yet.

Soldato
OP
If your motherboard supports Intel Smart response you could alway use the 60GB has a caching drive for the 5400rpm drive witch will speed things up a lot on that drive.

I'm waiting for the delivery of a 120gb SSD which will replace my current 60gb SSD being used as s OS drive. The 60gb will then be used for Steam and the only 2 games I'm playing.

The Samsung was never really intended for the purpose it's currently being used for. It'll simply move to being a data store for pics, music & vids.

Eventually, I want to have x2 Samsung 256gb SSD'd but I'm a while from that yet.

Soldato
OP
Yer very well could be High read times on the HDD can also slow other things down.

yeah, I've got 20mb BB which downloads about 2-3mb/s.

Funny though, the mouse goes through spates of stuttering when opening browsers & tabs. Not all the time mind.

I've been playing a lot of Dead Island and it's the same which makes me think it's my HDD??

Soldato
OP
Yes no problem. Lets us know how you get on with new SSD I think you will be very happy with how it performs.

Appreciated you help!

I really like my setup and would be a shame to have to change it now as it's only 8 months old. Will see what my new SSD's like once the OS has been installed and Steam is moved to my 60gb SSD.

Thanks all the same :D:D

Back
Top Bottom