HR software, holiday bookings etc

Soldato
I'm looking at implementing a system to handle holiday bookings and sickness absence. Currently on a wall planner but not ideal for many reasons. Suitable for up to 20 people and not likely to go above that.

What systems have you seen and used? What did you think of them?

Cost can't be silly and we're not liable to use anything much above the holiday application and approval based side of things together with sickness records. I guess web and app type access.

A quick search has found a couple, whosoff (32pcm)and breath (23pcm)

Soldato
We use BreatheHR and have done for about 6 years. It's nothing special but It does the job.

2Q0a1mL.png

2iir7hr.png

bUo3bpF.png

Edit: Yes, my holiday entitlement is utterly ****... :(

Last edited:
Associate
Years ago I wrote a bit of CGI in bash. It worked but was a mess to maintain. Then we moved to bits of paper, and as admin updating a (view only) shared google spreadsheet. We managed to advance a bit later to dropping the paper and doing the permission via email and updating he spreadsheet still.
Now we use BambooHR. I'm not really a fan. The book holiday button is hidden until you hover over something. It tells you how much holiday you have taken this year and how much you have yet to take, but not how much you haven't booked yet. Its like they want to make it as hard as possible for you to book holiday.

Soldato
OP
Breath seems to be winning here, Bamboo pricing is hidden till you sign up or communicate which puts me off, Breaths is listed and seems reasonable.

Soldato
We use Workday (i think that counts), it does holiday bookings, but not sure on sickness - never had any so wouldn't know where/how to check.

Associate
my last role was in a similar sized company and they also used breathe, seemed to do the job well enough!

You could also have a look at OrangeHRM - It's free as far as I can tell so you'd just need to pay the cost of hosting it (AWS or similar), or host it yourself if that's an option

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/orangehrm

edit: if you google them they also offer it as a SaaS option where they host it, but no idea what their pricing would be like!

Man of Honour
We use Workday (i think that counts), it does holiday bookings, but not sure on sickness - never had any so wouldn't know where/how to check.
I imagine Workday is too expensive, although I don't know what options they have for small companies.

Years ago I would've said the best option is just your own lightweight spreadsheet (there must be good templates out there) but my guess is there will some good cheap SaaS platform targeted at small companies nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom