htaccess problem, at least i think that's what it is

Soldato
Hi Guys.

So i think i have a problem with my .htaccess or at least i think so.

Here's the story.

I've made a website for my mums little charity music thing shes putting on which can be found here. http://www.bradfordbarnstorm.org.uk . ive done my best to build it using wordpress and i think it all works rather well. The problem arises in that im trying to put on a forum so the community can talk. I've installed using the providers install system and its the same type of forum as this one. phpBB i believe its called, installed to /forum. How ever when i try and go to it via link or direct input it automatically reverts to the main wp page. I rang up the support line and some man told me to adjust the htaccess and told me what to put in it. He gave me this

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^maindomain.com$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.maindomain.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/wp/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /wp/ [L]

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^maindomain.com/forum$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.maindomain.com/forum$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/forum/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /forum/ [L]

From what i understand its saying if some one types in the forum extension it allows them to go it otherwise all other requests are pushed to the /wp/

any help would really be helpful. im losing hair :)

yeah the simpler the better really. They're mostly going to be oldies and house wives, that ilk. Just really a place for people to put forward suggestions for the performances or say ' yeah i can help with that ' or ' i know a man with a power cord ' that sort of thing. so maybe thats the better way to go.

I presume it can be admined and make various little sub forums and stuff ?

I didn't realise i had to do that :/

I just did it though and it hasn't changed. now looks like this.

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^bradfordbarnstorm.org.uk$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.bradfordbarnstorm.org.uk$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/wp/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /wp/ [L]

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^bradfordbarnstorm.org.uk/forum$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.bradfordbarnstorm.org.uk/forum$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/forum/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /forum/ [L]

I've had a look at the bbPress. I'm a wee bit confused about how it works / looks. If i could get phpBB working then that would be spanking!

Don't understand why you're starting the rewrite engine twice, should only need to do that once.

Why are you using a rewrite at all? Just host wordpress at the DocumentRoot and add a Forum subfolder?

I must explain that i haven't a clue what it all means. this was what the tech support guy on the end of the phone showed me. he created a txt document with that in. i believe the top part about forwarding it to the /wp/ folder was something that wordpress actually did. i certainly didn't :)

For a start is .htaccess in the route of your WordPress install?

Delete it. Login to WordPress admin. Go to the permalinks options click save to generate a new default htaccess file. Open the new htaccess file and add the following below # End WordPress:

Code:
RewriteRule ^forum/  - [L,NC]

Report back

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom