***HTC Magic Thread***

Caporegime
Home screen is loading fine for me now using the save launcher in spare parts. But something is absolutely killing my battery life, if its the ROM itself or an app I'm not sure. :(

Soldato
Do you have the facebook sync option enabled?

The first day I had 5.08 I let that sync and my battery lasted maybe half a day. Turned off the facebook sync option and now it has normal battery life.

I also adjusted the brightness of the screen slightly which may have contributed slightly.

Caporegime
Do you have the facebook sync option enabled?

The first day I had 5.08 I let that sync and my battery lasted maybe half a day. Turned off the facebook sync option and now it has normal battery life.

I also adjusted the brightness of the screen slightly which may have contributed slightly.

I did but now I've turned it off as most of my friends on FB don't have their numbers on there.

Soldato
I found with 5.x (and to a possibly lesser extent 6.x) that having Wireless enabled slaughters the battery life,

Not sure why though, but I've just got into the habit of turning wireless off using switchpro widget until I actually need it, bit annoying but the increase in battery life is rather large...

Caporegime
How long will it take to be done do you think for a full release?

I want to download at the end of the month...and use it for a month or until the HD is out when I can upgrade / buy out of my contract.

Don't want to go with the nightly or RC3 build.

Soldato
Cyanogen posted an update today, seems to basically say that the software is to the point he wants it, just bugfixes to go, wouldn't be surprised to see the final CM6 released in the next fortnight or so,

Saying that I've not had a huge number of problems since using the release candidates, except the market which is (mostly) behaving itself now...

Soldato
I've only ever partitioned my card when I was installing the 4.x version. Are there recommended setups to the card partitions for the 6.x version? My 5.x version runs like a dog :(

Soldato
CM6 only uses the standard Froyo 'apps2sd' which utilises a simple FAT partition, I've left my current card as it was before (mostly FAT, small 'apps' and 32Mb swap partition) but afaik it's only using the FAT nowadays, once CM6 final is released I intend to format into one bit FAT partition...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The lack of RAM on older devices mean a swap was needed, I'd say you still need at least a 32MB swap.

Newer phones obviously don't need a swap.

Soldato
With CM6 a swap isn't reccomended (nor CM5 for that matter) and running without one doesn't seem to give any problems/slowdown.

Some people still do, so that choice is there thought

It is still slow though, really want to get a new phone, but waiting till there's one with a decent GPU that is also supported by CM, could be waiting a while :p

Soldato
I found that adding a 32mb made my Magic run on CM6 RC3 how I always thought it should. It's like having a new phone.
I think results vary depending how you use your phone though, I have some beefy widgets going on, so they munch a fair bit of memory.

Associate
Hey guys,

I am currently on firmware 1.6 really want to root my phone to a better build as 1.6 is dog slow and is really frustrating trying to do simple tasks as it freezes and takes an age to load things.

I only have a 2gb sd card which came with the phone and only need to save peoples numbers.

What is the best build out at the moment and can someone point me in the right direction for the tools/apps I need to root my phone.

Cheers,
Murzo

Soldato
Everyone uses cyanogen's mod 5.X or R6C3 depending if you want a full stable release or a beta release.

Have a quick look in the last few pages as this question has been asked several times. If you are still stuck on specific things I will try to answer them.

Associate
Thanks iraiguana, I decided to pull the finger and read from page 100 onwards and foudn Alfies steps to root an android 1.6 magic, it mentions the cyanogen recovery mod, I downloaded the Amon_ra recovery mod can I just replace the cyanogen mod with Amon_ra and continue on through the steps?

Soldato
Cyanogen recovery and Amon_ra are interchangeable yes. The mod you are after is still Cyanogen's mod though.

It would be worth reading up on any radio updates you may require on from the cyanogen website as well.

Back
Top Bottom