** HTC VIVE PRO - UPGRADED WIRELESS VR HEADSET ANNOUNCED **

OcUK Staff
Hi guys, great start to CES with a headset announced by HTC with all the features we've been asking for. No word on price yet and I've had word the first batch will be extremely limited stock (like 50 units for us...).

Word is that at the moment its planned to be a standalone so it is mainly an upgrade for existing users who already have all the peripherals. I'll see about making a bundle with what peripherals we stock such as cables, lighthouse towers, controllers, etc. but this will probably cost more than an official bundle I assume will be released in time for peak season.

Timescale I've been told Q1 but take with a pinch of salt.

HTC VIVE PRO The professional grade VR Headset @ PRICE TBC inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/74875

HTC VIVE PRO The proffessional grade VR Headset, Hi-Res Headset + 3D Spatial Audio, Re-engineered and Optimized Ergonomics, Latest SteamVR Tracking System, Wireless Powered by Intel® WiGig

PRICE TBC

ORDER NOW

Soldato
Defo not the upgrade I wanted... Same Fov = :(

Same display as the oddesey, which has been reported to to hard to tell the difference from the rift.

Bring on pimax.... Its nothing more that a drip feed

Associate
"Li-ion Battery Powered for Long Hours of VR Freedom"

I find that statement vague and unconvincing. Anyone seen the actual capacity stated anywhere?

Yeah, cables are occasionally a pain, but tbh I rarely even notice them, and rather that, than a built in battery that will suck and only get worse over time with repeated charge cycles...

Seems bad enough with the controllers.. my mate with a Vive has to charge his controllers every few hours, and seems to need several charge cycles for every set of AAA batteries I stick in my Rift's Touch controllers.

So a headset, with 60Ghz wireless, tracking, and 2 lit high res, high refresh screens to power.... wonder how long it'll last between charges? I sure hope that if I upgrade my VR setup in the future wired headsets and AAA powered controllers are still a thing.

Soldato

I find that statement vague and unconvincing. Anyone seen the actual capacity stated anywhere?

Yeah, cables are occasionally a pain, but tbh I rarely even notice them, and rather that, than a built in battery that will suck and only get worse over time with repeated charge cycles...

Seems bad enough with the controllers.. my mate with a Vive has to charge his controllers every few hours, and seems to need several charge cycles for every set of AAA batteries I stick in my Rift's Touch controllers.

So a headset, with 60Ghz wireless, tracking, and 2 lit high res, high refresh screens to power.... wonder how long it'll last between charges? I sure hope that if I upgrade my VR setup in the future wired headsets and AAA powered controllers are still a thing.
Resolution and refresh has no impact in battery consumption when it's just the display. You're mistaking phones with higher resolution displays sucking more battery because of the associated requirements to run the display. The headset isn't going to be processing the graphics, so it won't make any perceivable difference.

Get some nice Eneloop batteries for your touch controllers. Mine last ages.

OcUK Staff
OP
will overclockers be taking pre-orders?

Yes although I don't want to until we have a price confirmed.

The TPCast Wireless adaptor we have already gives around 2-4 hours which is more than enough for a session I find. I imagine it will be similar for the official HTC battery pack.

Soldato

With my TPCasts I get about 4 and a half hours per battery. They use Anker PowerCore II 20000 batteries.

Also, I was the same as you. I had VR headsets for 5 years before wireless was an option so was very used to moving around and I found my body automatically compensated for the cable - but having it truly wireless is pretty liberating.

It's quite funny, the first time you try wireless you might notice you still have some old habits - like trying to align your world with a forward direction that would mean the cable would come out your back, funny stepping motions as you turn and turning one way then choosing to turn back the other way to stop the cord wrapping around you :)

Soldato
It's quite funny, the first time you try wireless you might notice you still have some old habits - like trying to align your world with a forward direction that would mean the cable would come out your back, funny stepping motions as you turn and turning one way then choosing to turn back the other way to stop the cord wrapping around you :)

I found the same when I got my cable management system setup. Always trying to orientate myself forward. But, now, if it wasn't for the guardian boundary, I would be walking into walls because I just put on the headset and face whatever way I like and I have stopped checking which direction I am facing.

Associate
Apparently, it's going to be Q1 for the standalone headset and Q4 for the bundle with everything. That's if you can believe a random 'reliable source'. If these rumoured prices appear to be true, it would be amazing if the $350 doesn't = £350.

Source
A reliable source indicated that the price of the Vive Pro Upgrade would be $349 in Q1 2018 with the trackers sold separately, but if you have a Vive currently you can use it with the existing trackers.
The Vive Pro complete system with the Lighthouse 2.0 Tracking system included will sell for $799 in Q4 2018

Soldato
Anything 400 or below, ill be taking the day off at any hint at a price announcement. Primed and ready, spamming the refresh for a pre order. The sceptic in me says though, that if they can charge over 100 for the DAS, not a chance:)

Associate
I, like millions of other PC gamers, have held off VR for this long (even considered PSVR as a filler) but I have to say, this Pro + knuckles + wireless is what I've been waiting for. A nice Q4 bundle for ~£950 clams steam thank you very much and I'm sold!

Now, just need buy a 1080ti... and an i5 8400 ... and a new motherboard...

Hmm, will a 1080ti even get a stable/minimum 90fps on high settings with the new higher resolution displays? Watch out for that video review.

2018 is going to be a big year!

Soldato
Hmm, will a 1080ti even get a stable/minimum 90fps on high settings with the new higher resolution displays? Watch out for that video review.

Well a lot of us with 1080ti's are already supersampling to improve image quality which means we're already rendering at 1.5 to 2.0 times native resolution anyway. The Vive Pro should mean that supersampling isn't needed as much, so there should be plenty of headroom.

Associate
we're already rendering at 1.5 to 2.0 times native resolution anyway.

That's a good point I forgot about. I remember seeing tests on a standard 1080 doing x1.5 and keeping things above 90fps - but x2 was a little too much to ask. We basically just stop using super sampling to ensure 90fps. Hmm, maybe a 1080 will be enough for the Vive Pro? Although id rather future proof now and get a 1080ti for the extra 200 clams or so.

Back
Top Bottom