** HTC VIVE PRO - UPGRADED WIRELESS VR HEADSET ANNOUNCED **

Associate
Graphics card prices aren't gonna do HTC any favours when it comes to drawing in new customers. The initial outlay to get into VR is huge.

That's a very good point. The price of graphics cards needed to power VR is eywatering at the moment. The sooner the bitcoin bubble burst, the better. Though when that happens the flood of cheap cards onto the market may help VR.

Associate
Not had a confirmed RRP as I think they are waiting until the stock lands and the dollar rate when it does to finalise. But my guess based on the launch price of the original standalone headset would be around £800.

Wow. Im a simmer, I dont need the controllers etc. Jut the headset and a base station for tracking. At £500 im in but £800 is crazy monies.

Associate
A little more effort and they could have done something nice with the Vive Pro, such as rotating the screens by 90 degrees for a much larger FOV. That would have made it worth while even with the Pimax around the corner. At the moment though, it just looks over priced for what you get. The same problem they have with the Vive.

There's a huge amount of hype going around about the Pimax and yet they have nothing 8k to show for it on the shelves of our favourite trusted retailers..

And as for the Vive, I liked the sound of having the build in leap-motion type controllers https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/htc-vive-pro-depth-camera-hand-tracking/. That could give innovative devs quite a tie-in to the platform and ensure that pimax and facebook (who will always be more interested in tracking your eyes to see which adverts you are scanning) are playing catch up for accurately tracked hands, particularly useful in social applications where Vive users are already tracking their feet.

Permabanned
There's a huge amount of hype going around about the Pimax and yet they have nothing 8k to show for it on the shelves of our favourite trusted retailers..

And as for the Vive, I liked the sound of having the build in leap-motion type controllers https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/htc-vive-pro-depth-camera-hand-tracking/. That could give innovative devs quite a tie-in to the platform and ensure that pimax and facebook (who will always be more interested in tracking your eyes to see which adverts you are scanning) are playing catch up for accurately tracked hands, particularly useful in social applications where Vive users are already tracking their feet.

When is the Vive Pro with Knuckles and Wireless available?

As for the tracking, I much prefer the idea behind optical tracking. Having to attach trackers to everything is somewhat out dated. I want to see body tracking done much in the same way Microsoft did with Kinect. Good idea to track hands, poorly implemented if you have to be looking at them.

Associate
Are we not waiting for Q3/4 for the full Vive Pro release?
If they were going to bundle some knuckle controllers with the Pro, I would. Otherwise it's really just going to add v2 lighthouses and wands...not enough for me to pay the full asking price if I already have the existing Vive. The HMD will do fine for now :)

Associate
If they were going to bundle some knuckle controllers with the Pro, I would. Otherwise it's really just going to add v2 lighthouses and wands...not enough for me to pay the full asking price if I already have the existing Vive. The HMD will do fine for now :)

What will be the advantage of the V2 lighthouses?

Soldato
The Pro headset has better noise cancelling so that should help with the whine though it doesn't bother me currently.

I'm a bit undecided now as I've experienced the TP Cast for a month and going back to a cable is definitely more annoying.

The improvements I'd like is a wider FOV (vertical not so bothered) and a bigger focus sweet spot in the middle but Pro doesn't improve those or at least not the FOV so now I'm thinking of waiting for the official wireless upgrade only. The improved SDE is nice to have but playing Minecraft & Lone Echo yesterday the current SDE wasn't bothering me at all unlike with my first Vive back at launch.

Less than £500 and as near as £400 (headset only) as possible might make the decision a bit easier but then you're stuck with an unused headset.

Soldato
That's a very good point. The price of graphics cards needed to power VR is eywatering at the moment. The sooner the bitcoin bubble burst, the better. Though when that happens the flood of cheap cards onto the market may help VR.

Looking to jump into VR this year but the prices for DDR4 RAM and GFX cards are just stupid at the moment. Might have to go the PS4 route for now and put that upgrade off until this pricing returns to a reasonable level

Associate
Th
Given what I've just seen on the road to VR, with the 'Prosumers' (whatever that means) I now revise my estimate.. £800-1000.

That reflects the price on the overclockers website. At that price just for an upgraded headset then I'm definitely out. Hopefully the price will drop to under £500 after launch.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a Rift, it's a great piece of kit, I'm not sure how the Vive stacks up as I've never used one. I'm sure it's great and I'm sure the Pro will be even better.

However, the one thing I am sure of, is that currently it's the lack of compelling software rather then hardware that is the biggest obstacle to VR becoming a mainstream success.

Unless VR can capture the masses, this is all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

OcUK Staff
OP
I've got a Rift, it's a great piece of kit, I'm not sure how the Vive stacks up as I've never used one. I'm sure it's great and I'm sure the Pro will be even better.

However, the one thing I am sure of, is that currently it's the lack of compelling software rather then hardware that is the biggest obstacle to VR becoming a mainstream success.

Unless VR can capture the masses, this is all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

With the VIVE PRO being aimed more at professionals rather than gamers I'm wondering if the mainstream for VR will, for the foreseeable, be amongst architects, designers etc. The whole reason for the 10x10m area is so that car designers can walk around a car they are designing etc. Perhaps the killer app will be in the professional sphere?..

You are right though in your summation, we are getting more AAA games but they are still ports. While VR is currently still amazing and fun, we do need a killer exclusive which will have everyone clamouring for VR and take it to the next level.

Permabanned
For gamers, Oculus leads steam survey for first time - Oculus 47.31%, Vive 45.38%, WMR 5.36%.

For professionals, I'm sure the Vive Pro will do well when it gets the wireless addon, that is if WMR also ignores wireless. Professional use does not need the full range controller tracking.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, HTC is not in a good place.

Back
Top Bottom