HTC will be announcing their new standalone headset 5 Jan @ CES

I think we have a batch of headsets all very similar at the minute. We really need something next-gen.

Agreed.
I’m rather hoping that Neo will do a Neo 4 “link”, ie with the core elements of the 4, but then removing the stand-alone capability and replacing that with a DP connection. In theory, that should be simpler and maybe cheaper to produce

Looks interesting, at least from a hardware perspective.

But the success of a stand alone headset really depend on how good its standalone software library is.

That's how these standalone headset makers make the most revenue - ongoing software sales. That's true for Meta and Sony.

Otherwise you might as well just make a headset that streams directly from a PC without the ability to run native apps on the headset, which would make for a cheaper device.

Agreed.
I’m rather hoping that Neo will do a Neo 4 “link”, ie with the core elements of the 4, but then removing the stand-alone capability and replacing that with a DP connection. In theory, that should be simpler and maybe cheaper to produce

That would be amazing. I'd happily pay more, especially if they stuck in some OLED panels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom