Humankind - Amplitude Studio's take on Civilization

Associate
Saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun today and thought it looked really interesting. From the 'first look' article on RPG and the description on the official website, Amplitude Studios are creating a 'Civ' game which rather than playing one culture/nation throughout the game instead allows you to choose from multiple cultures/nationalities in each of 6 ages - combining and blending the strengths/units of each. There will also be turn-based tactical combat (although that hasn't been seen as yet apparently) and presumably elements from Endless Legend/Endless Space - so, all in all, it could be brilliant... Expected release in 2020.

Official Website: https://humankind.game/
RPG Article: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...humankind-amplitudes-new-historical-4x-beast/

Man of Honour
Been playing this today, looooong time Civ fan, have played every Civ since Civ 1 and racked up literally thousands of hours in each of Civ 4, 5 and 6. Probably close to 10,000 hours in total on the series as a whole.

Got to say, I wasnt sold initially on Humankind but I've really enjoyed it today, its both similar enough to Civ and different enough from Civ to be worth playing and its moved from a probably wont buy to a probably will buy in my book. Interested to see what game options are present in the full release

Soldato
Picked this up on pre-order via Humble and played this weekend opendev build, and its like Civ6 but from the test this weekend feels different enough for it not to be a Civ clone.

You do seem to have a lot more freedom in how you shape your civilization, as think in the beta this weekend there was something like 10,000 civ combos you could do.

Also like how the city building and management worked, and the queueing was good

Soldato
Got to say, I wasnt sold initially on Humankind but I've really enjoyed it today, its both similar enough to Civ and different enough from Civ to be worth playing and its moved from a probably wont buy to a probably will buy in my book. Interested to see what game options are present in the full release

Picked this up on pre-order via Humble and played this weekend opendev build, and its like Civ6 but from the test this weekend feels different enough for it not to be a Civ clone.

Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to read. Thanks guys.

Associate
got a key off a friend going to give this a whirl later this eve, always liked the Civ Games though im not highly startegic!

Soldato
Definitely keeping an eye on it and looking at opinions from the closed beta. It's quite pricey but if it's worth the money I don't mind getting it. The gameplay videos do look really good.

Man of Honour
I'm liking what I've played of the closed beta so far, I played the Victor Opendev and had a few quibbles about it. So far it seems that those quibbles have been addressed. Still looking forward to see what options are there at launch, largest map size, longest game duration (I play Civ on Marathon only) etc

Soldato
I'm liking what I've played of the closed beta so far, I played the Victor Opendev and had a few quibbles about it. So far it seems that those quibbles have been addressed. Still looking forward to see what options are there at launch, largest map size, longest game duration (I play Civ on Marathon only) etc

with your rather extensive play time for the Civ games how would you rate this compared to those..? Do you think that there is enough uniqueness to make it a worthy purchase, or is it too similar to that of Civ VI, for example ....?

Thanks

Man of Honour
with your rather extensive play time for the Civ games how would you rate this compared to those..? Do you think that there is enough uniqueness to make it a worthy purchase, or is it too similar to that of Civ VI, for example ....?

Thanks

Its different enough that you could have it in your gaming collection even with the Civ games, its not, imo as good as the Civ games, it just doesnt have that depth that you get in the Civ games but there is definitely enough differences that it can certainly sit alongside Civ as its own product. I played every dev build of Humankind in full and of course have thousands and thousands of hours in Civ 1 (yes..1 :D ) to 6 and my end verdict would be that Humankind is capable, probably the best of the Civ rival games there has been but doesnt have the depth. I dont think I would pay £40 for Humankind but if it can be grabbed for £30 or better still for peanuts on MS Gamepass then its definitely worth a dabble if the 4x genre is your bag :)

Soldato
@Tombstone Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts, knew that you had a stack of hours playing the Civ games, so who better to ask.
Considering how long that Firaxis has been pumping out the Civ series then AS seems to have done a decent job with this title.
This would be difficult for you to answer, based on your time played, but perhaps not having that depth might offer accessibility for some new to the genre compared to a Civ title.?
Interesting thoughts that they have in regards to mods and the workshop, both being embraced I believe. To the point where even modifying the AI is intended to be possible.
IIRC that might make a change from Civ V and modified dll's etc
The price might get a little cheaper when more widely available.

Man of Honour
@Tombstone Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts, knew that you had a stack of hours playing the Civ games, so who better to ask.
Considering how long that Firaxis has been pumping out the Civ series then AS seems to have done a decent job with this title.
This would be difficult for you to answer, based on your time played, but perhaps not having that depth might offer accessibility for some new to the genre compared to a Civ title.?
Interesting thoughts that they have in regards to mods and the workshop, both being embraced I believe. To the point where even modifying the AI is intended to be possible.
IIRC that might make a change from Civ V and modified dll's etc
The price might get a little cheaper when more widely available.

Oh yes, very much so, its certainly an easier title to get into than Civ, which may seem overwhelming to someone new to the genre. I have to say that I did like the way combat is done in Humankind, added more strategy and thought to what you were doing than Civs battle mechanics which are a little primitive really today. I expect Civ 7 will have a combat overhaul.

Soldato
Well I can find it for £22.99 so that might be worth a punt.
Hopefully it will deliver what it is shaping up to be.
My main concern is time....... Already got too many games waiting to be played..!

Man of Honour
Well I can find it for £22.99 so that might be worth a punt.
Hopefully it will deliver what it is shaping up to be.
My main concern is time....... Already got too many games waiting to be played..!

Oh god, tell me about it...between now and the end of the year there's The Ascent to finish, my co-op Anno 1800 to continue, Humankind (as its basically free on Gamepass) , Kings Bounty 2, Aliens Fireteam, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Deathloop, BloodBowl 3, Diablo 2 Resurrected, Lost Ark, Dying Light 2, Riftbreaker, Satisfactory Update 5, Battlefield 2042, Age of Empires 4 and My Time at Sandrock (guilty pleasure)

As I say there have been several "challengers" to the Civ throne over the many years since Civ first burst onto the scene and none have really come close (not in terms of Earth historical ones anyway, a few space 4x's have been good) , Humankind , whilst it wont dethrone Civ, has at least come closest imo. Still a little ways back but closest all the same.

Soldato
I rarely play Galac Civ 3 anymore, but enjoyed that some time back.
Satisfactory is starting to pump out Dev videos around update 5, like you mentioned. Managed to avoid that game but recently caved and bought it.
Old World, on Epic iirc, is another one that so far I have avoided.
Now I find Humankind, again purposely avoided but now it is so close to release and available at under £23.
There are several other types of games that are also close to being on the front of my roaring inferno of my back burner.....
Dying Light 2, Battlefield............. better stop there.
Heck the seemingly lazy Devs have done me a favour with slug like developing of Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts...!

Link for the std edition for £22.99......

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/humankind-pc-steam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom