Humour me please.....

Associate
Hi,
I have just read the OC guide and im still a little confused.

I am going to be buying the following:
Asus P5K-E Wifi
2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC6400-800MHZ Corsair Ram (Cas 4-4-4-12)
Q6600 SLACR
Arctic Cooling 7

Please could somebody explain in simple terms how I would go about OC this lot. Also in about 6 months time once the price of the DDR2 1066 MHZ ram drops I will be swapping with 4GB (2x2GB) of this speed. Would I be able to OC with this also?

OC confuses me....FSB/Multipliers etc.

Thanks guys/gals
Nick

Man of Honour
Hi,
I have just read the OC guide and im still a little confused.

I am going to be buying the following:
Asus P5K-E Wifi
2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC6400-800MHZ Corsair Ram (Cas 4-4-4-12)
Q6600 SLACR
Arctic Cooling 7

Please could somebody explain in simple terms how I would go about OC this lot. Also in about 6 months time once the price of the DDR2 1066 MHZ ram drops I will be swapping with 4GB (2x2GB) of this speed. Would I be able to OC with this also?

OC confuses me....FSB/Multipliers etc.

Thanks guys/gals
Nick

If it confuses you, read more until you understand it. ;)

Seriously, the more you know, the easier it will be for you to solve problems and not worry about what you're doing.

If you want some ideas on what to do, just treat your new kit exactly as the guide suggests and you should be fine. If you want somebody to tell you what values to put where, then there are a few other threads banging around in here with kits lists just like yours.

Personally, however, I can't stress how important it is for you to learn about what you're doing. This forum has the odd superstition regarding hardware bangles and baubles, so - IMHO - find out how to reset your BIOS and play. It's pretty hard to kill hardware nowadays, so have fun and enjoy it.

Man of Honour
Seriously, though - it's a bit like climbing a tree: there is no point helping somebody climb as they'll just get stuck and not be able to get back down again.

As it comes to just 'upping the FSB' or playing with the multiplier, you should be able to do that by yourself. The interesting parts of overclocking come along when you're trying to get your system stable right on the limit of its performance, or trying to eek out those last few MHz.

Overclocking is pretty simple, really, when you sit back and look at what you're actually doing.

Back
Top Bottom