Hybrid vs Road Bike?

Soldato
Hey people,

I want to get myself a bike to cycle in to work Mon-Fri, only about 2 miles each way, but I'm stuck whether to look into a hybrid or a road bike. The one reason I don't fancy a road bike is I think I'll look a bit daft on one and whether or not they're going to be comfortable for someone my size? I'm 6ft4 and a big built 21stone, I want to cycle as part of a new lifestyle to lose weight.

The benefit I see with a hybrid is the fact that they can have front suspension with lock outs for road riding as well as tyres which can be used on light trails without too many problems.

I have a budget of around £500 and was looking at the Scott Sportster range. What would you recommend for someone of my build and with my requirements?

Thanks,
Jonny

Soldato
OP
At your weight (no offence meant) you might find a road bike (as in a racer) a bit painful to ride.

None taken at all, it's self inflicted :p

I think for starting up hybrid sounds better for me for the reasons you mentioned, perhaps when I become fitter and lighter a road bike would be an option, perhaps it will never be an option as I can't see myself being any lighter than 17/18st!

[DOD]Asprilla;16361410 said:
snip
What I would suggest is that you don't spend too much on a first bike (mine was £70 second hand) and you find out if you enjoy cycling snip

I used to cycle everywhere up to the age of 17 when I started to drive, so I'm happy in the fact I'll enjoy cycling so I might as well jump in at the deep end with something of decent spec and comfortable to ride. Do you have any recommendations? Are the Scott Sportsters any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The P5 seems to have suspension, the P6 doesn't. The P55 has disc brakes where as the P5 has V brakes. The P4, the one I'm interested in, has suspension forks with lockouts and Shimano Deore derailleurs where the cheaper models have Acera derailleurs. After a bit of research seems the deores are smoother and more consitant than Aceras.

Back
Top Bottom