Hyper-V - Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS errors on boot

Soldato
Hi

Just wondered if anyone here would recognise the errors I'm getting...

I'm trying to create a VM in Hyper-V on Win 10 Pro 64bit version 1809. Win 10 now provides what should be an easy process to set one of these up for Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS using the 'Quick Create' option in Hyper-V.

However, when I try to start the VM the Ubuntu boot process displays the following two errors and results in being returned to the Grub menu.

• Spectre V2: Spectre mitigation LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline.
  • PCI: Fatal: No config space function found.
This is on quite a new HP laptop with an AMD Ryzen 2500u APU.

Searched around the internet, tried MS and HP with no success, I just get referred around the houses so any help is much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately Hyper-V doesn't have most of those settings mentioned that VirtualBox does.

I've tried a few things such as disabling dynamic memory and reducing the CPU count to 1.

Sometime I get to the Ubuntu System Configuration screens but during selections either for the keyboard layout or time zone selection it freezes or I get instantly returned to the grub menu.

Am wondering if it doesn't like the touchpad on this laptop or the freezing is just a coincidence occurring after I use the touchpad to click on the continue button. When it freezes the mouse pointer is no longer inside the virtualised window although the mouse pointer still works within Windows OS.

Soldato
Hi

Just wondered if anyone here would recognise the errors I'm getting...

I'm trying to create a VM in Hyper-V on Win 10 Pro 64bit version 1809. Win 10 now provides what should be an easy process to set one of these up for Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS using the 'Quick Create' option in Hyper-V.

However, when I try to start the VM the Ubuntu boot process displays the following two errors and results in being returned to the Grub menu.

• Spectre V2: Spectre mitigation LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline.
  • PCI: Fatal: No config space function found.
This is on quite a new HP laptop with an AMD Ryzen 2500u APU.

Searched around the internet, tried MS and HP with no success, I just get referred around the houses so any help is much appreciated.

Open Settings on the VM and go to Hardware->Security. Disable "Enable Secure Boot". You should be able to leave "Enable Trusted Platform Module" ticked, though. Try restarting the VM afterwards. This isn't the only approach - you can have a GNU/Linux image that will work with Secure Boot. But you likely have one that isn't.

Can't swear that this is the problem but it's what I had with a similar output. It's definitely possible as I have such a VM running on my machine right now.

I also recommend setting up an RDP server on any GNU/Linux guest and using Remote Desktop to connect rather than the default Hyper-V "Connect" as GNU/Linux guests don't support Enhanced Mode like Windows guests do.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I missed that you were using Quick Create. In that case, it's probably already taken care of. However, I'd recommend downloading an ISO, making the security setting change I suggested and then installing that way. It doesn't really take much longer and it lets you try a few different things such as installing the server version without a GUI and trying it out that way first to take GUI issues out of the equation.

One gotcha is that for some reason Remote Desktop can't connect until Ubuntu has fired up its login screen. I typically start the VM, connect from Hyper-V but don't log in, and then fire up the Remote Desktop and connect.

VirtualBox is better than Hyper-V, imo. But there are advantages to Hyper-V and the two are mutually exclusive as they require different Windows configurations. Hyper-V has come a long way and I switched to it permanently from VirtualBox very recently. VB is still easier and more reliable, imo, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi

Thanks for your input @h4rm0ny the reason I was using the Quick Create in Hyper-V is because I understand the Ubuntu image offered there is tweaked somehow with some better integration with Hyper-V, including Enhanced Mode.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/UsingEnhancedModeUbuntu1804ForHyperVOnWindows10.aspx

Unfortunately it or rather the kernel (4.15.0-32-generic) doesn't appear to like my hardware, there seems to be a lot of chatter on the web of Linux incompatibilities with Ryzen mobile APU's from what I can see.

Removing the secure boot option didn't solve things, it sometimes does get to a Ubuntu splash screen and sometimes a bit further to completing the installation config settings screens for keyboard, time zone etc. It's just ridiculously unstable, will crash me back to the grub menu for some unknown reason.

Have gotten a bit further with Solus as that has a newer kernel (4.18.5-90.current) but even that has been crashing right at the end of when it cleans up the installation process.

I think I need to wait until Ubuntu or Solus ship an installer with a more recent kernel, otherwise maybe its a HP or W10 security feature that's causing the clash, very hard to tell.

I would have preferred to use VB but since W10 has introduced more security features such as Device Guard and Credentials Guard that use Hyper-V behind the scenes it seems impossible to use VB now unless you're prepared to disable these Windows features which feels rather hacky.

Soldato
Hi

Thanks for your input @h4rm0ny the reason I was using the Quick Create in Hyper-V is because I understand the Ubuntu image offered there is tweaked somehow with some better integration with Hyper-V, including Enhanced Mode.

You're not wrong. And theoretically this IS the best approach. However, I had problems and found that Enhanced Mode was easily replaced by installing xrdp on the guest and using Remote Desktop to connect. That gives me screen scaling, copy-paste (including files) and that's pretty much what I needed. No criticism intended by the way. I started using Quick Create for the same reasons but I switched because I wanted my own image (Xubuntu - I prefer xfce UI) and then found with RDP this was as good as Enhanced Mode anyway.

Unfortunately it or rather the kernel (4.15.0-32-generic) doesn't appear to like my hardware, there seems to be a lot of chatter on the web of Linux incompatibilities with Ryzen mobile APU's from what I can see.

Hmmmm. I can't give you like for like but I'm running Ubuntu in Hyper-V on a 1st Gen Threadripper right now which should be similar. It's not an APU though I have a Radeon 480 for my GPU so again similar. You mentioned that you thought it might be the touchpad. How about you try installing Ubuntu Server edition if that still is configured solely by console (it's been a while since I've done anything serious on Ubuntu so I may be out of date). That way you can at least get to a working system hopefully and you can install whatever GUI you would like on it afterwards.

Removing the secure boot option didn't solve things, it sometimes does get to a Ubuntu splash screen and sometimes a bit further to completing the installation config settings screens for keyboard, time zone etc. It's just ridiculously unstable, will crash me back to the grub menu for some unknown reason.

It's the fact that it's crashing at random points that is difficult. I do get a crash on my Ubuntu VM in Hyper-V but it's rare and usually after using it for a while. Does cause an issue that forces me to kill the process to shut it down, though. I wish I had more expertise to offer you. I remember being the sort of person who sneered at the new kid "Ubuntu" for the way everything was pre-compiled. But I seem to have gotten very lazy with my Linux knowledge since those days.

Have gotten a bit further with Solus as that has a newer kernel (4.18.5-90.current) but even that has been crashing right at the end of when it cleans up the installation process.

I think I need to wait until Ubuntu or Solus ship an installer with a more recent kernel, otherwise maybe its a HP or W10 security feature that's causing the clash, very hard to tell.

I've not used Solus - just taken a look and seems interesting. If you think a more up to date kernel will help, you could put Gentoo, Arch or some other Rolling Release distribution on there. You might not (or you might) want to use it You say the Quick Create kernel is 4.15. Latest Ubuntu is 4.18 and Arch or Gentoo will net you 4.20 so five minor point versions ahead. Can't promise anything but as you raise it...

I would have preferred to use VB but since W10 has introduced more security features such as Device Guard and Credentials Guard that use Hyper-V behind the scenes it seems impossible to use VB now unless you're prepared to disable these Windows features which feels rather hacky.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. I had VB on my old machine and never ran into it because it was years old. And on my new machine I decided to go straight to Hyper-V so I didn't notice a conflict. That sucks because VirtualBox is a great product. Would hate to see it undermined through no fault of it's own.

Maybe try with a newer distro or a server one without a GUI to see if you can get it set up and installed. I could maybe try exporting a VM and getting it to you to try, somehow. Not sure how big it would be...

Soldato
OP
Thanks @h4rm0ny finally got Ubuntu 18.04.02 LTS to install on Hyper-V using Quick Create, so the Enhanced Mode version. This was because finally there were some new BIOS versions released and updated drivers so I did a Windows refresh to return the laptop to out of box experience and then updated Windows and all available drivers from HP. Also maybe a newer kernel in the distros since I last tried.

So if I would like to use Debian for example which I have also managed to install now via the normal process of downloading the ISO, can I install xrdp on this and connect with Remote Desktop and will that give me full screen? When you mention Remote Desktop are you referring to the Remote Desktop feature of Windows?

Still can't get Solus to install but I think that's an issue with the distro as the install seems to make reference to VB even though I'm using Hyper-V, seems others have experienced the same so I'll just keep an eye out for a new release of it to see if that fixes it.

Soldato
If you are open to suggestions, I have found VMWare Workstation Pro 15 to be far superior to Hyper-V for development and network work, give the demo a play and see what you think. Version 16 can't be far away now.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you can use anything else other than Hyper-V on Windows 10 due to that running in the background for security features even if you're not actually making use of Hyper-V for VM's.

When I build my next desktop I'm probably going to use Proxmox.

Soldato
I don't think you can use anything else other than Hyper-V on Windows 10 due to that running in the background for security features even if you're not actually making use of Hyper-V for VM's.

When I build my next desktop I'm probably going to use Proxmox.

Incorrect. I run the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and VMWare Workstation Pro 15 works perfectly.

Soldato
Both VMWare Workstation Pro 15 and Virtual Box run absolutely fine on Win 10 Pro (my home PC is running the former, my work laptop the latter).

In fact I looked into using the Win 10 + hyper-V option on my work laptop when I was creating an Ubuntu VM on there when I received it (my previous employer had a dedicated lab environment so if I wanted some VMs I just ran them up on there) and it just made a lot more sense to go with anything other than hyper-v

Soldato
OP
Both VMWare Workstation Pro 15 and Virtual Box run absolutely fine on Win 10 Pro (my home PC is running the former, my work laptop the latter).

In fact I looked into using the Win 10 + hyper-V option on my work laptop when I was creating an Ubuntu VM on there when I received it (my previous employer had a dedicated lab environment so if I wanted some VMs I just ran them up on there) and it just made a lot more sense to go with anything other than hyper-v

Maybe its been fixed in a more recent update to W10 or you don't have certain underlying security features enabled in Windows but if anything in Windows is making use of Hyper-V which I understand doesn't even have to be enabled in terms of enabling it to use it for VM's then it will not coexist with another virtualisation solution.

https://exoticbaryon.anset.org/2017...tart-64bit-vms-windows-defender-device-guard/

It's easier to use Hyper-V in my opinion as it's staying within one eco system but when i have a new server it will be set up for NAS and a lab environment.

Soldato
Your linked article is almost 2 years old. Supposedly 1809 with Virtual box 6.x (which is the combination i am running) seems to behave a lot better. The company I work for is pretty paranoid about security things, they wont have turned off anything that could be security related. I'm running 64bit Ubuntu 18.04 and CentOS 7 on it with no issues, as well as 64bit RHEL 7, 8 and Ubuntu 18.04 under Win 10 1903 with latest VMWare Workstation 15 at home with nothing disabled.

Frankly, in my experience, Hyper-V is pretty **** for running Linux overall. I was involved with a large Customer project at the end of last year which made use of it which caused nothing but trouble particularly with compatibility the Red Hat infrastructure. Given the choice I would run anything but that.

Soldato
OP
Well it may have been earlier versions of drivers and bios but impossible to say now since its fixed. I wouldn't be choosing Hyper-V when using a server, i'll be utilising Proxmox as not all the virtualisation solutions support pcie / gpu pass through.

Soldato
OP
Posting this here as HP forum is too stupid to realise the effort put in to resolve these types of issues, could save someone else a great deal of head scratching...

Boot loop Issue with AMD Video Driver 19.10.18.01
Product: EliteBook 745 G5 (3UP50EA#ABU)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've discovered a compatibility issue with the latest AMD Video Driver 19.10.18.01.

Firstly my laptop was fully up to date with the exception of the AMD Video Driver and AMD Chipset Driver but I also had Hyper-V enabled. If I tried to install the AMD Chipset Driver it wouldn't complete successfully as the command window would indicate zero's for each task, seemingly unable to set certain variables so HP Support Assistant app would keep reoffering the driver again and again. If I installed the latest AMD Video Driver as offered in HP Support Assistant I would end up with a boot loop where I would need to use the advanced startup options to return to a restore point.

Having recently restored the laptop to an out of the box experience from the recovery drive image and then reupdating everything, I was able to install both the AMD Chipset Driver & AMD Video Driver to the latest versions offered by HP Support Assistant app. However, as soon as I tried to enable Hyper-V I ended up back in a boot loop situation that I had to use a restore point to get back to not having Hyper-V enabled and being able to boot to Windows.

Therefore what I had to do in order to enable Hyper-V was to remove the latest AMD Video Driver.

e.g. Right Click Start Menu > Apps and Features > Click 'AMD Software' and then the 'Modify' button > You're then presented with the AMD uninstallation app and I chose 'Clean Uninstall' > Restart system when prompted.

Upon reboot I then installed the previous AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel (18.50.30 Rev.F) - SP95541

Rebooted again after the above AMD install completed.

I was then able to enable Hyper-V successfully.

Therefore I believe there is some conflict with the latest AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel (19.10.18.01 Rev.F) - SP98166. My advice is only install this and AMD Chipset Driver (5.12.0.38) - SP91337 if you don't intend to enable Hyper-V.

HP Support Assistant app has now reverted to not only advising me of the above AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel but also the AMD Chipset Driver 5.12.0.38 - SP91337. Something about the AMD Video Drivers uninstall or reinstall has ended up removing the previously installed AMD Chipset Driver.

Whilst rolling the AMD Video Drivers back to the previous version solves the coexistence issue between Hyper-V and AMD Video Drivers it would be nice to have a better resolution that used the latest drivers without this conflict occurring.

Using up to date Windows 10 Pro 1903 - OS Build 18362.267.

Back
Top Bottom