• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
*EDIT* See this post: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34519953

I don't mind you laughing at me, honest!

Basically, never attempt to do something like this while having a blazing row with your girlfriend!

I ordered this ASUS STRIX OC RTX 3090 in September 2020, it arrived Saturday 16th January 2021. Had all the stuff ready to go on the card, EK water block and back plate.

I've done this a few times before, and never had an issue. But this time its gone all wrong. All because I was to heavy handed in removing the existing backplate (due to girlfriend row! My fault, not hers!), which caught two capacitors on the board and ripped them off. The attempt to reattach them to the board obviously didn't go well!

I test fitted the card in my other gaming PC, this particular 3090 was destined for my sim racing rig to run my new HP Reverb G2 (which is amazing BTW!). But as soon as the PC was turned on, there was much white smoke, followed by a lovey smell of burning electronics, you know exactly the smell I am talking about don't you!

So yeah, I failed massively with this card!

Question is, what can I do with it? No warranty, as number one I've evidently removed the warranty sticker, and number two, this was my fault, not NVIDIA's!

I obviously don't have the skill to repair it myself. :D
So do I stick it on eBay and hope for the best?
Use it as a door stop, or an expensive paperweight?
Find someone who has a far better chance of repairing it?
Forget NVIDIA and wait for the new AMD card (more waiting :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and also the condolences!

Its on eBay now. There isn't anyone around where I live (North Devon) that I know who could attempt to fix it.

I'm a very impatient individual and blindly thought I could fix it myself. As some have said, expensive lesson learnt!

Associate
OP
I know who may be able to repair it. If you are interested, I can ask him. The process would involve to ship the GPU to Germany, but he is the the best engineer I know and the most skilled person with a soldering iron.

Oh! one more thing! please, don't touch it any further to avoid making more damage! :) Also, if you are going to use it as door stop, please send it here, I will try to repair it myself :p:p

Well, that might be worth a shot. Can you PM me? I tried to PM you directly, but not allowed for some reason. Thanks

Associate
OP
I reckon if you didn't try a self repair the caps could have been put back on professionally. Looks like you got solder everywhere on the board too and also what looks like a volcano has erupted. It maybe worth trying a professional electronics store to get it fixed, only one way to find out really.

Yeah, I should have just tried to get someone who knows what they are doing before me having a go and butchering it!

Associate
OP
If you do go down that road then you really want to be removing all traces of this thread, given that it would be used as evidence of insurance fraud ;)

My father, back in the day, had a customer return a 'faulty' video camera to his branch of Rumbelows (if you remember that name then you're an old git like me :D ) with the complaint that "it just stopped working, the tape won't come out, give me a new one". Father said "you won't mind if we just take a look, see if we can see what might be wrong, do you?". Took the camera out to the back of the shop, the tape out came straight out and was playable in another camera - there was the customer filming his wife when he tripped over something, dropping the camera on the floor. The next bit was priceless. The words "it's OK, I'll take it back to the shop and tell them it just stopped working, they'll have to give me a new one" were very clearly audible. My father went out to the shop and asked the customer if there was anything "he'd like to confess" ;) . Suffice to say, the guy left rather sheepishly.

lol, good story.

I've looked into the home insurance idea. It's probably not worth my time to try to be fair.

Associate
OP
I cant fathom what made you think you could repair it yourself...unless you have a lot of experience? Bonkers and expensive mistake.

Because I am an idiot and do things without thinking things through! One of the many issues when living with ADD as an adult!

Associate
OP
Soooo... I have the diagnostic, sadly it is not good :(

"It's unlikely that that's repairable. He's most likely shorted a power rail, which means that not only are the regulators fried, but also power rail tracks which could be on internal layers are also burnt through. The card is well and truly fried."

It seems that is probably botched for good.

Oh well, that's a shame. But thanks so much for trying for me, I really appreciate it. Botched being the operative word!

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the advice, heart felt condolences and general shock and awe as to why some idiot would treat a £1700 GPU in such a manner!

Insurance isn't an option sadly. And it appears to be unfixable, I won't try my luck with ASUS, as its obvious who's to blame.

But I do now have a moral dilemma on my hands. I've been offered £400 for it on eBay, but kind of concerned that someone else might end up losing their money if they cant fix it. I know its listed as spares or repair, but still not sure if that sits right with me.

What would you do?

Associate
OP
I took the pictures down as I have put the card back to stock and am dealing with insurance company now.
Its still listed on eBay, so if you are really interested, take a look on there for photos.

Associate
OP
It's at nearly £700 on ebay, people really will buy anything!

I am very surprised that its got the type of attention it has to be honest.
It's likely bots that are bidding. So I'll be even more surprised if I actually get the money it sells for!

Still waiting for insurance company to update me on the situation.

Associate
OP
Highest bidder pulled out unsurprisingly! Sent second chance offer to second highest bidder, and thats at £1500, soo will see if they get back to me, but I'm not holding my breath!

Associate
OP
I sent the card back to the place of purchase as faulty, hadn't heard anything from them for a few days and assumed they were just busy.

This morning I get a message from DPD saying I am due a delivery today. I hadn't ordered anything recently, so wasn't sure what to find in the box. But had a feeling it was what I was expecting, but actually it wasn't what I was expecting at all!

I almost cried when I opened the box!!

Here's what I found inside.

o1TF3Nph.jpg

Wttmo5vh.jpg

I honestly never expected to get a replacement card. I haven't actually tested the card yet. But sure it will be fine.

The burning question is, do I commence with putting the EK water block on this new card?!
Me and the girlfriend have made up, so at least there wont be any distractions! :p

Associate
OP
Where did he order from?! And surprised they had stock in the first place to send a replacement? lol

I wondered that myself. I purchased from another main retailer. Not OCUK.

I imagine they keep a few back for warranty replacement.

I've decided not to do the water block install.
I'll wait until the card is out of warranty and then do it!! Best not push my luck!

Back
Top Bottom