I Can't Get Into BIOS Via Dedicated GPU?

Associate
Motherboard: Asus X670e Crosshair Hero
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb
Monitor: LG 34UM95
GPU: RTX 3090
CPU: 7950x

When I boot the PC I get a totally black screen until it drops into Windows

This has happened since I built this PC

Yesterday I needed to access the BIOS... couldn't do it via dedicated GPU and DP connector.

Then I remembered when I built the PC I ran it without a GPU... with the HDMI connected directly to the MB, that's how I accessed the BIOS. Did this again and it worked.

I also updated to latest BIOS yesterday and it was same after, so don't think it's to do with any settings (they were stock after update).

Is this normal for Asus boards nowadays? You have to use iGPU to access BIOS?

Only setting I can think of is turning off iGPU from the BIOS but then I might get locked out of accessing it completely.

I wanted to access the BIOS regularly so I can turn of my SATA SSDs when I want.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yes it works using HDMI just tested.

So this is an Nvidia issue?

Is DP still worth it as a connector or has everyone switched to HDMI? Obviously I'm on an old monitor, back when I got it DP was the best connector to use.

pre

pre

Associate
On an ASUS board there is a setting to select the onboard HDMI or discrete GPU as first output. I cant recall setting name but it's to do with PCIE and think one of the options was PEG or something.

Soldato
its not an issue on my asus x570
and 3080ti using displayport

though i created a reboot direct to bios shortcut
on my desktop just in case
plus its useful once in windows when i want to go
to the bios to do something
no integrated gpu on my cpu

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
This links to the newest version, but if it doesn't do anything then I'd assume you don't need a firmware update and the problem is elsewhere.

Got this:

Summary:
GPU Status
GeForce RTX 3090 Unsupported by this tool, contact card vendor

Strange...

Associate
OP
Maybe check the card manufacturer support site. They may have uploaded the correct version.

Edit: This link says it's for the 30 series. Ver 1.1. Looks like the later version is just for 40 series.
I get this:

Summary:
GPU Status
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Already updated

Does this mean I should be looking to change settings in BIOS to go along with the update?

I thought the firmware update would have been enough.

Soldato
Is csm turned off in bios?
Enabling it may help
Other option already mentioned set first display device
To peg or pcie 1

Try all display port outputs on gpu
If not tried already
Might be only 1 is initially active until
Drivers loaded

Last option if nothing else worked
If bios default is integrated graphics on
Turn it off
If that doesn't fix it
Just clear cmos if can't see the bios
Then integrated will be enabled again

Last edited:
Soldato
Having a quick search I can see other users reporting same issue with the same board:

But it did appear fixed for some users when they flashed an older BIOS (in the thread it was version 1516 - released 24th Jul 2023)

With that board I would try and reach out direct to Asus support and see if they can help regardless.

Associate
OP
Having a quick search I can see other users reporting same issue with the same board:

But it did appear fixed for some users when they flashed an older BIOS (in the thread it was version 1516 - released 24th Jul 2023)

With that board I would try and reach out direct to Asus support and see if they can help regardless.
Not sure if it fixed the DP issue because I'm still on HDMI right now but disabling memory retraining reduced my boot time from 60+ seconds down to 15 wowowowowowow!!!

"Go to Extreme Tweaker/DRAM Timing Control and enable "Memory Context Restore" option. This will disable memory retraining during every start of the computer."

Expo is still enabled. So the painfully slow AMD boot times are because of memory retraining. It works just like my old build now... keyboard light comes on early, BIOS shows, and fast boot times!

Just gotta check if it does it on DP as well.

Back
Top Bottom