I had one dead pixel on my MacBook....

Everything is all sealed units these days. New screen means new top case and bezel + all associated camera/wifi gubbins. Need a key replacing on a keyboard? That'll be a whole new palm rest, trackpad, battery and I believe a speaker or two as well. In fact I think the only thing they transfer is the board.

I know this because the board is the only original part of my 2016 MBP work machine after two hardware calls (replacement LCD and a single key fault). :D

Caporegime
Apples quality control is second to none and their aftermarket care is excellent. I’m getting to the point where I don’t even mind paying if that’s the level of support you get.

Soldato
I know this because the board is the only original part of my 2016 MBP work machine after two hardware calls (replacement LCD and a single key fault). :D

Similar with my late-2013. New display after the coatings started flaking off, and new top case after a battery issue just before AppleCare ran out. The original bits are the logic board, SSD and the bottom panel!

The panels have been a whole lid replacement since the unibody construction in late 2008.

Apples quality control is second to none and their aftermarket care is excellent. I’m getting to the point where I don’t even mind paying if that’s the level of support you get.

Agreed.

Soldato
Not really, where do you think the money for warranty repairs comes from?

Hint : High prices of the products themselves.
Yeah, no. The price of repair isn't going to be built into the price of the product in its entirety. Possible repairs are factored into the price in every product.

Commissario
OP
I bought my MacBook through the refurb store and didn't have to pay VAT on the price so I got a very good deal originally. The dead pixel was about half way down the screen and a couple of inches from the left and showed as a black dot on white backgrounds. It was really obvious!

Just pleased to have it sorted.

Ask for £69 to be refunded as there’s no such thing as “Labor” in an English dictionary.
Generally I'd agree with you but the Cambridge English dictionary says different ;)

Soldato
This is why I continue to buy Apple stuff and why it annoys me that people continually go on about the price of Apple gear. When you get the customer support and the convenience of Apple stores I think the premium is worth it.

My girlfriend's dad bought his wife an iPhone 6 off ebay and it wasn't holding its charge, he took it to an Apple store to get the battery replaced and was perfectly willing to pay the charge and yet when they came back to pay they said they were replacing the entire device under the European directive and it was free of charge.

Google, Samsung and pretty much any other phone manufacturer don't give that level of support and definitely not same day support at that.

Soldato
My new style MBP had a slightly sticky key which sometimes produced double taps.

Took it to Apple for warranty, expecting them to replace a switch - they replaced the whole top deck of the laptop - new keyboard, new battery! Massive bonus.

Soldato
I've had brilliant experiences with Apple support in terms of replaced kit. When the stuff directly effects my ability to earn money every day I really don't mind paying more for access to service.

They replaced my plastic Macbook (remember those?) twice, once out of warranty, due to the case degrading. Replaced my 2011/12 17" unit as the keyboard failed. Caused me a ton of pain as I was away in the US at the time working, to the point that I was going to buy a new one and return under their 14 day thing. They came up with the better idea of just giving me the US 17" unit. Keyboard was a bit different, but it got me out of a hole. Had to pop to a UK store to sign some warranty forms when I got back (dunno what that was about) but like I say, got me out of a hole.

Often the hardest part is getting a time slot for a genius bar! Even living in Central London, where there's tons of stores, getting a formal appointment can be a bit challenging.

Associate
My 2011 MBP's onboard video card failed, they replaced it with a brand new (at the time) 15" 2016 model as they didn't have any 2011 logic boards left.

Which got promptly sold on eBay...

Can't complain with that.

Commissario
OP
Often the hardest part is getting a time slot for a genius bar! Even living in Central London, where there's tons of stores, getting a formal appointment can be a bit challenging.
I've had problems getting appointments at sensible times for an iPhone appointment but no issues when booking in for a Mac, generally can get next day at Lakeside (my nearest store).

Back
Top Bottom