I had one dead pixel on my MacBook....

Soldato
Everything is all sealed units these days. New screen means new top case and bezel + all associated camera/wifi gubbins. Need a key replacing on a keyboard? That'll be a whole new palm rest, trackpad, battery and I believe a speaker or two as well. In fact I think the only thing they transfer is the board.

I know this because the board is the only original part of my 2016 MBP work machine after two hardware calls (replacement LCD and a single key fault). :D

Nah not quite :)

You are mostly right but they don't just swop the Logicboard. A Display Clamshell would not need a new top case. The webcam is just a horizontal connector connected onto the Logicboard directly from the webcam (which comes from the clamshell too). The keyboard however you're correct as the whole top casing needs replacing as this has the embedded battery and trackpad is under that. BUT! There are a lot of cases where a key can be replaced easily without. Speakers are separate though.

Commissario
OP
I know the whole top section of mine was replaced, when he went around it looking for any marks and scratches, he picked up on a tiny ding that was practically invisible but could be felt by a fingernail running along. That's not there any more.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Yeah, they'll just replace large components in as one as it means it can be done 'in store' once the parts are in. The 'broken' bits will be then sent off to be properly dismantled and the bits that aren't actually broken I suspect will be refurbished and reused.

I had a new top case and screen on my 2012 MBPr when it was just under 3 years old as it had an amount of light bleed that I wasn't happy with; that was done for free.

Definitely replaced everything when they did the LCD. It was boxed as a single piece with a single SKU on the box.

I had a good chat with the IBM field engineer who came to my house to fix it, as he was clamping the massive jig needed to open the case to my kitchen table. Can't even take the bottom case off without a special tool these days it seems.

Soldato
Then it must have needed more than just the LCD or he replaced the top and bottom casing too due to cosmetic damage :) You do not need to replace everything just for the screen or the Clamshell. The fixture you're talking about is just to remove the bottom case yea.

Last edited:
The machine was less than 3 months old, and in pristine condition. He said they replace the whole top as everything is bonded as one sealed unit.

I know you can split them, but judging by the ifixit guide for replacing just the LCD it's a total ball ache and not worth doing in the field.

Soldato
Ahhh maybe it's because he is doing it on site. I work for an aasp and we have the same training and processes as Apple do (we even use apple own content system gsx) which is why I questioned it and know it's not how they do it. I couldnt work out why he would replace the top case or logicboard for a screen only repair :p On site makes a little sense as sod doing part repairs on a makeshift workbench but that said it's MUCH easier to replace the clamshell than the logic board. who knows maybe it's just his way ? :)

Edited for grammar -probably still needs work lol

Last edited:
Associate
.... and Apple replaced the whole of the top section! I thought they'd just swap the panel but no, it was the entire top.

Did you not have Apple care as presumably that outside the normal 1 year hardware warrantee being early 2016?

Caporegime
Strangely enough, that's the one thing I didn't blur out! The existing one didn't have an IMEI number, that field is blank on the paperwork. I assume the IMEI listed as the replacement part is actually the serial number because a MacBook shouldn't have an IMEI. Or should it? Is there something they're not telling us? :eek: :D
I always wondered why a laptop was never made that would take a SIM card for mobile data rather than an unsightly dongle sticking out the side.

Commissario
OP
Did you not have Apple care as presumably that outside the normal 1 year hardware warrantee being early 2016?
Look at the image again and you'll see it was at zero cost to me. I bought it in December 2016 from the refurb store so it is still in Applecare - Although I've just got the extended Applecare from eBay so it's covered until the end of 2019.

Associate
Look at the image again and you'll see it was at zero cost to me. I bought it in December 2016 from the refurb store so it is still in Applecare - Although I've just got the extended Applecare from eBay so it's covered until the end of 2019.

Got you, I could see you hadn't paid for the repair, but had assumed that with the report saying laptop was 'early 2016' that it would have been out of standard warrantee by now.

Soldato
replacing parts in bulk like this is all good and well for those of you with applecare or still under warranty.
For everyone else it makes repairs a total ripoff.

case in point, customer of mine took macbook to apple with faulty trackpad, apple correctly diagnose it, but wanted ~£350 to replace the whole palm rest including touchpad and battery.

Customer phone me and asked advice, we were (easily) able to replace just the trackpad, its only held in with adhesive. net result is the customer paid far less and the outcome was essentially the same. I honestly cannot think of a reason that Apple couldn't have done this.

Back
Top Bottom