I hate tempered glass...

Associate
I know it's the in thing at the moment, but I really wish there was a choice of tempered glass and plastic. I have 3 children, 2 of which are clumsy as s*it. I really dont want massive slabs of glass within arms reach.

I am really tempted to get the p600s, but that doesn't even have screws for the door, it just pulls open. That would end with a trip to A and E!

Anyone know if there are ways to get plasticky/perspex/whatever case doors used to be made of replacements for phanteks cases? even if they are not official? I dont want metal doors, need to see my RGB man.

Associate
depending on the age of your kids they probably wouldnt be able to open the door on the p600s, i own one and the glass door is held shut with strong magnets so it takes a good bit of force to open it

but if kids could potentially get near the case anyway then i would rethink your setup

ofcourse i understand its not always that simple :p

Associate
OP
depending on the age of your kids they probably wouldnt be able to open the door on the p600s, i own one and the glass door is held shut with strong magnets so it takes a good bit of force to open it

but if kids could potentially get near the case anyway then i would rethink your setup

ofcourse i understand its not always that simple :p
My computer is just on my floor under my desk. (be worse if it was in my desk) I assume most people have a computer within arm's reach.

I assumed it was fairly easy to open the door. Never opened one tbh. Only seen it in videos etc. Even without the kids I would be terrified I would break it myself lol.

Associate
My computer is just on my floor under my desk. (be worse if it was in my desk) I assume most people have a computer within arm's reach.

I assumed it was fairly easy to open the door. Never opened one tbh. Only seen it in videos etc. Even without the kids I would be terrified I would break it myself lol.

i mean it is easy for an adult but it does require a bit of strength and i havent tested it but im sure it would be hard for a kid to open.. maybe a good idea would be to go to a shop and test one out if they have one on display?

as for breaking it, well it is tempered glass so its stronger than regular windows but ofcourse it will break if you give it a good whack.. but i was the same when i first got the case, like when you shut the door and the magnets pull it shut i think its going to smash lol but all good so far

@ChugNorris does the cases here so maybe he will be able to suggest something, but wouldnt expect a reply until tuesday

Associate
OP
If a bank
i mean it is easy for an adult but it does require a bit of strength and i havent tested it but im sure it would be hard for a kid to open.. maybe a good idea would be to go to a shop and test one out if they have one on display?

as for breaking it, well it is tempered glass so its stronger than regular windows but ofcourse it will break if you give it a good whack.. but i was the same when i first got the case, like when you shut the door and the magnets pull it shut i think its going to smash lol but all good so far

@ChugNorris does the cases here so maybe he will be able to suggest something, but wouldnt expect a reply until tuesday

Sadly I dont think anywhere near me does any cases or anything Gaming/decent PC related. all I have is pc world, only decent PC parts mine sells is a g502 oh and for some reason they still sell a 970 graphics card. which makes no sense. Thjey have nothing from this generation at all.

God I wish we had eomething like overclockers down near me.

On amazon they have the at the moment which is an insane steal, so really tempted to get it, just unsure about the damn glass. i'm sure it would be fine. but i'm just so clumsy. literally just dropped the side off my case from my chair10 minutes ago, but luckily it's acrylic or whatever seethrough panels are on a cougar panzer max. so just scratched it. I know with the p600s you dont need to take it off anyway, but just worries me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Is sticking your pc on a shelf a possibility? That’s what I did a couple of years ago when it became clear the kids wouldn’t stay away from it. Actually prefer it there now, I have it with the side panel facing out into the room showing off the ‘sexy’ internals. Even the wife likes it where it is now.

Associate
OP
M
Is sticking your pc on a shelf a possibility? That’s what I did a couple of years ago when it became clear the kids wouldn’t stay away from it. Actually prefer it there now, I have it with the side panel facing out into the room showing off the ‘sexy’ internals. Even the wife likes it where it is now.
It's way too big. My case is huge and extremely heavy no way I would risk putting it on a shelf.
Mostly because I don't trust my skills in putting up shelves. Lol.

Associate
OP
If you are really worried, stick some shatter proof film to the glass?
True. I know i'm probably worrying over nothing.

Does he mod cases?

Soldato
On amazon they have the p600s for £99 at the moment which is an insane steal, so really tempted to get it, just unsure about the damn glass. i'm sure it would be fine. but i'm just so clumsy. literally just dropped the side off my case from my chair10 minutes ago, but luckily it's acrylic or whatever seethrough panels are on a cougar panzer max. so just scratched it. I know with the p600s you dont need to take it off anyway, but just worries me.
They have it on here for £99 too. I bought it recently and it looks great, can't wait to build in it. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...s-silent-midi-tower-case-black-ca-08t-pt.html

Associate
OP
OcUK Staff
I would put my two pence in but looks like you're sorted :) out of interest, the P600S side panels has a little fabric hook to open the door with. Once you are 100% done with the internals, tuck that into the case when you shut the door, voila, it's now extremely difficult to open the door again (pro tip, flat head screwdriver is useful here when you need to open it again)

Associate
OP
I would put my two pence in but looks like you're sorted :) out of interest, the P600S side panels has a little fabric hook to open the door with. Once you are 100% done with the internals, tuck that into the case when you shut the door, voila, it's now extremely difficult to open the door again (pro tip, flat head screwdriver is useful here when you need to open it again)
How strong is the glass exactly? Just terrified my son will whack it with his foot when not paying attention while sat at the computer (floor by feet is the only place I can have it really, no way I would rick having such a heavy item on a shelf)
I assume it takes a fair bit of clout to actually shatter the glass?

I did ask phanteks for some reassurance on how strong the glass was and they just sent me a quote for a metal door... which wasnt reassuring at all lol.

Associate
it would take a fairly good whack to shatter it i would have thought, not something i would want to test though lol

all i can say is tell them to be careful (probably pointless i know) and if it does get kicked atleast you will know the result for future :p

honestly think you will be fine though

Associate
it doesn't break that easily, i used to work in a glass factory and have dropped a piece of glass on the floor and it bounced lol you'd be surprised how tough it is especially once it's set on it's frame

OcUK Staff
How strong is the glass exactly? Just terrified my son will whack it with his foot when not paying attention while sat at the computer (floor by feet is the only place I can have it really, no way I would rick having such a heavy item on a shelf)
I assume it takes a fair bit of clout to actually shatter the glass?

I did ask phanteks for some reassurance on how strong the glass was and they just sent me a quote for a metal door... which wasnt reassuring at all lol.

Unless your sons toes are made from metal and filed to sharp points you should be fine, they are pretty sturdy. It's more about hard impacts from a pointed or small surface area that causes the breakages.

Back
Top Bottom