I hate to be that guy...

Associate
but, as i am new to this and because i have read review after review after review and post after post, i just feel contradicted with opinions.

i have to choose some memory for my first build, i have bought some ram, but i am struggling to see the difference between hard drives other than slight differences on transfer speed.

i have usb3.0 available to me so this has opened my options up slightly, but in terms of going for a HD as a standalone memory unit or havin a HD and an SSD for the operating system im not sure where to start.

i like the look of the western digital my passport drive, its simple and reasonably priced, and to be honest, the rest of my rig isnt the absolute top end anyway so im not too fussed with squeezing every last drop out of it.

so really, im just wondering if this is a good choice for hard drive, and would i actually need an SSD for the operating system, i am in two minds, as if it is not necessary, then i could just save the money, but if there is a massive difference in performance then what would people recommend.

cheers guys

Associate
OP
ah my bad, sorry, ill delete the post and take it to the other forum.

thank you for the reply though, its an opinion shared by most so i think ill just have to go for it and research some SSDs and try and find a good deal for both

thanks again

Associate
OP
Ah yes i was going to have an external drive as my main drive, only because i have literally thousands of albums, and because i write my own music, i could whip it out and then go to the other bands mates with it

Thank you for the suggestions, i think the 120GB one would be perfect, pay day yesterday so ill get that now :)

Associate
OP
SSD has been bought now, just trying to work out how much music i have already, how much i have in hard copies and how much i will have in 2 years or so before i get the hard drive, i cant see myself having 3TB worth though ;)

Back
Top Bottom