I have just been scammed out of s10+.

Associate
I need help. I just sold my s10+ to a guy off gumtree who just gave me a handful off counterfeit money. I need help in blocking the phone I have the IMEI number.

How do I go about this.? It was a unlocked phone bought from Very. As per sale I resetted the phone. The guy handed me the money folded in half and there was a real £20 note on top. When the gentleman left it dawned on me the money underneath were not kosher. I feel like such an idiot. I quickly ran out to chase him down but it is pitch black and raining heavy and he was no where to be seen.

Obviouly as it has been resetted I can't track it and therefore I need to block it. I can't ask my phone provider as I haven't used a sim card in it for ages or can I? I am on the three network.

And even more gullible I gave change as he didn't have exact amount....

Please help. Thanks.

Associate
OP
So I have reported it and a crime reference number has been given to me. Spoke to the three network and initially the person told me it couldn't and passed me onto Samsung. Phoned Samsung and told me only network providers can issue the IMEI block. So the nice lady at Samsung phoned three on my behalf and explained the situation and a very nice gentleman called Javad (sp?) took my details to confirm the three account and issued the IMEI block although he did tell me it would take 24/48 hours to go through.

JUst hope it gets blocked before any sale of it goes through thus saving some other poor soul. And I don;t think it will end up outside Cardiff but you never know so if some guy tries to sell you a Samsung s10+ black with the IMEI number 354652107166746 then avoid as it has a block put on it.
Thanks for all the advice guys and you all have a good weekend.

Associate
OP
How does blocking a phone work, do you have to prove you owned the phone.
What stops you just randomly blocking someone's phone.
How can you unblock them?

I don't know if it differs but I expect other network providers would be more or less similar. Here is the process that three network used before they issued a block for me. I had to confirm my name, address and phone number.

Then asked me the last time I used the sim card in the phone, when was the last time I topped up, how I topped up (shop, online etc) and how much I topped it up for.

They asked me what phone it was (brand and model) and then lastly they asked me what the IMEI number was I guess to make sure it was the right phone for the IMEI number. Only then did the gentleman issue the block.

I guess for them to unblock an IMEI it would be same the same steps. So I think it would be really difficult for someone to randomly IMEI block you. While a scammer, thief, someone found a lost phone possibly know your name, address and phone number the other details are much harder to obtain I would have guessed.

While I didn;t have the IMEI number or the box to find out what it was because it is an Android phone the IMEI can be obtained and tracked (if it has not been factory resetted) by google Find my phone app. There you can remote erase, get it to ring even when on silent and pin lock it. It will also be trackable if location is turned on via wifi or mobile data.

If it has been factory reset then it will still show the IMEI number regardless.

Even though a block has been issued and now the phone is practically a brick. It is still usable as soon as it leaves the UK. Apparently there is a big demand for these in China and India because as soon as it leaves British airspace they IMEI lock is rendered void by the network carrier.

I am sure most of the above apply to iphone users as well.

Associate
OP
  • You are all quite right i phrased it wrong once it leaves the country the IMEI block is still there but you can use the phone in other countries like china or india but if you were to return to the UK the IMEI block will still operate.

Back
Top Bottom