• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I have made the right decision, Haven't I?

Soldato
You guys are porbably thinking "Dude stop with posting" but I can't rest till I know I've made the right decision. So please bear with me.

Following on from my recent thread I have finally decided for the following kit:

Intel E6300 With a Tuniq Cooler (The best I believe?)
Asus P5B E-Plus or Deluxe (Can't see much in differences?)
2GB of either Crucial Anniversaries or Ballistics 5300 (They have same timings as the Anns afaik?)
X1950 pro or thereabouts.

Anyhow my original plan was to get an E6600, after much reading and convincing it makes much more sense to get an E6300 considering im on a 'budget' of £1.3k (That's just for an upgrade! Blame the 2 Dell Widescreens!).

It'll be my first overclocking system ever, so I hope on taking it to 3.2Ghz, Is that realistic considering the premium kit? Is it worth going for the premium kit?. I plan on keeping it like that 24/7. Say theoretically I got it to such clocks, it wouldn't affect their 'longtivity' of the components by much would it?

Have I made the right decision on selecting my components?

Thanks once again :)

Soldato
Yes, it's fine. If you have a 1.3k budget please spend the extra £30 on the Crucial 10th. As for the board, I havent read any ocing results for the P5B-E so cant comment but the deluxe hits over 500fsb. Theres very little difference in gaming between the E6300 clocked to 3.2 and an E6600 clocked to 3.2. It may effect the longevity by say reducing your motherboards life cycle from 5 to 4 years, by which time its not really worth worrying about.

Soldato
OP
lucifersam said:
I think the 6600 was a good choice, I have seen some people who bought the orignal 6300 start to get problems with reliability after having it clocked high for a decent period of time
Any truth in this?

Soldato
lucifersam said:
I think the 6600 was a good choice, I have seen some people who bought the orignal 6300 start to get problems with reliability after having it clocked high for a decent period of time

Got anything to back this up? I haven't heard of anyone having problems. Mines been sitting at 3.15ghz since release day (Augustish)

Associate
P5B-deluxe and P5B-E Plus share the same Intel P965 chipset, however the differences are:

- Chipset version C1 vs C2
- 8 phase power vs 4 phase power
- not all alu caps vs all alu caps
- 2x16x PCI-E slots vs 1x16x PCI-E slot

Hope that helps. :)

For P5B-E Plus and 6300 OCability, check my sig.

Man of Honour
Soldato
trojan698 said:
Got anything to back this up? I haven't heard of anyone having problems. Mines been sitting at 3.15ghz since release day (Augustish)
Concorde Rules has seen one core of his E6300 die after folding at 1.47 V (or something like that) since launch. It might not be a common occurrence but is has happened.

Frankly I wouldn't be concerned. You can't go wrong with the E6300 with a board that supports sky-high FSB frequencies. :)

Associate
lucifersam said:

dark_shadow said:
Any truth in this?

No.
It's not unheard of that a CPU or single core fails but there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that a lower clocked-at-stock CPU is going to be more likely to have one of these failures.

Last edited:
Associate
blknoel said:
P5B-deluxe and P5B-E Plus share the same Intel P965 chipset, however the differences are:

- Chipset version C1 vs C2
Recent P5B-Deluxes will also have the C2 chipset revision.
Hasn't really been shown to make any difference though.

blknoel said:
- 8 phase power vs 4 phase power
Sounds good but has no tangible effect on O/C performance.

blknoel said:
- not all alu caps vs all alu caps
Mostly marketing, won't make any difference to performance just potential longevity.

P5B-E Plus is a solid board, for your needs it's essentially to be considered a P5B-Deluxe without the (awful) Wi-Fi and fancy-but not-especially-effective-heatpipe cooling.

Back
Top Bottom