I know it sounds like the HD has gone. but...

Associate
I just want to make sure.

Basically went to the PC on Sat and it was hung, so I rebooted it and it ran POST fine - no issues whatsoever, and then displayed the Windows XP screen - then the monitor goes dark, then black (what I mean by this is my dead pixel disappears too), then goes dark again (dead pixel back). Then it won't do anything - I noticed also that the keyboard stayed illuminated but the num lock light went out.

So I thought it might be the drive, so I ran the WD diags (it's a 150GB Raptor) and it came up with a 0008 handling error on the quick test. Then when I ran the extended test it said it had fixed the error. But still won't boot and everytime I run the extended test it says there is no error. The quick test gives the 0008 error every time.

I burnt Knoppix to a disk and ran that and I can browse the HD in question, just not copy off it due to all my drives being NTFS.

Now all of a sudden, Knoppix won't load - it sticks at the Checking USB devices bit.

I tried swapping out the RAM and that didn't have any effect, and also ran Knoppix with both HD's disconnected - still failed to load.

Any ideas - is this defo my drive gone? About to RMA to WD but just wanted to check first.

Back
Top Bottom