I need a bike - any experts

Associate
I need a new mountain bike to get about on. I don't want a stupid small BMX thing or one of those racing bikes with thin tyres, just a regular bike to go to the gym and work.

Anyone got any suggestions - £200 - £300? (Hopefully less)

Requirements:

Comfortable, fast, looks good.

Associate
OP
Thinking of going for the Ridgeback Switch Cyclone but I'm concerned about the smooth tyres - how do these cope in rain?

What's the consensus on suspension then? Getting mixed signals here - don't confuse me!

Associate
OP
Wow, lots of information - most of which goes over my head as I don't know what rigids etc are.

I'll put it simply, you have £250 to buy me a decent bike that's comfortable and goes from A to B. Mainly road but I may travel on earth/tracks/roads that aren't smooth from time to time.

Will the Ridgeback Cyclone do me?

Associate
OP
OK, I spoke to the guy at my local cycle shop and after discovering that he doesn't have the cyclone in he said he had the tempest (the one above the cyclone) which is supposed to be £370 and he'd do it for £300. He has now found out he doesn't have that but he has a brand new 2005 Storm (one above the tempest) which is supposed to be £450:

Ridgeback Switch Storm (Click Storm on the right)

He said he'd do that for £370, and with a helmet, lights and a lock he'd do it all for £400.

Good deal? The bloke mentioned even though the storm doesn't have disc brakes it has really decent brakes - this true?

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Sorry, what's a groupset?

Also, the tempest (the one above the cyclone) has disc brakes, yet the storm (the one above the tempest) doesn't have disc brakes - why not? Are the brakes on the storm better then the tempest?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom