I need a new desk

Soldato
I currently have an office-style L-shaped desk with 1" steel tubing under the edge and I want something more suitable for my PC. And nicer. Just a straight plank about 5' long with some sturdy uprights and cable management underneath (and with three monitors and umpteen USB devices there are a LOT of cables) and an appropriate depth (help me out here!) for PC use. My monitors will be on monitor arms clamped to the edge, not stands.

I've looked at John Lewis and Ikea and not been impressed, though Ikea's Idasen comes close in style. I don't want veneered chipboard, much less the cardboard that's inside the Idasen.

I'm not afraid of a little carpentry. So I thought of a wood kitchen worktop which I could trim as needed, but are they actually suitable, from where should I buy one, and what about the uprights?

Soldato
OP
I have the Mokka Executive as does the wife only hers is smaller...

Thanks but despite having a L-shaped desk now, I don't want my new desk to be L-shaped.

I've ordered a 2m oak top and the industrial legs. I've also orderd an oak strip which I'll use as a modesty board behind which to hide the cabing. Plus it will also hide the angle iron I'll be using to brace the desk. Now I just need to get some furniture polish.

Soldato
OP
Also make sure you pre-drill the screw holes.

Oh yes, very good spot. What length of screws did you use?

do you find 620 deep enough?

I will have my monitors mounted on arms, not the huge stands with which they come. That saves a lot of depth: the arms only require 10 cm.

The angle iron has just arrived and it seems I also need to buy washers as the holes are so large. Off to B&Q and / or Screwfix this afternoon!

Soldato
OP
So the old desk is out and the new one in. Only I forgot to wax it. So there's nothing on it right now apart from half a pot of beeswax polish.

Soldato
OP
The desk is in and my monitors are set up. I still have cable management to finish. With so many cables - I have three monitors - it's a right sod. It's strange having to slide over to game on my 4k monitor when previously I just had to turn around, but I'm mainly playing Star Wars Squadrons on my 3440x1440 monitor, though the 4k monitor may be better for the Tie fighters. One thing I do want to do is round off the front edge of the desk. Any tips?

The monitors take up about 10cm of desk space apart from the one I have at an angle and that can be pushed back. That leaves about 50cm and my eyes are a further 10 cm or so away, so I'm viewing the screens from around 60 cm - just under two feet.

Back
Top Bottom