I need help, cruncher down (for now)

Soldato
This might be a bit long but bear with me.

I have been running Set@Boinc pretty much since the beginning and have had very little problems up to now (apart from the problems on Borkleys end)

But yesterday I had a horrible time, at times Boinc made my system unresponsive and hung the whole system.
When it did work it meant that opening another program like Internet Explorer or Outlook took ~5 seconds when with Boinc off it loads almost instantly.
I have never had this with Boinc before.

Obviously this is unacceptable, so it got me thinking it might be my system that has become unstable so I ran Memtest86+ which ran fine for 45 minutes, then I ran Prime95’s Blend test for an hour without error so I’m stumped.

I run an optimised version of Seti@home and Boinc (unfortunately I can’t remember which one, I think I downloaded it from http://www.marisan.nl/seti/ ), could that give me the problems?
Or can a WU cause the unstability?

So what should I do now, stop the WU I’m crunching (how?), reset the project, go back to the default install or a different newer optimised version?

Soldato
seems odd if it's been fine up untill now but is sudenly laggy and unresponsive. I get the same thing on my work lappy, viual studio is really quite hard to use and outlook can take a LONG time to get mail from the server. I've found that only surring a single client (1CPU only) ona HT box has helped, as has a good defreag, windows reinstall, and a reduction of TSR type programs.

In the end for me, if DC projects stop me using the computer then they are coming off, it's why I came back to SETI from folding ans those 250Mb + QMD units were bringing my PC to it's knees.

HT

Soldato
OP
happytechie said:
seems odd if it's been fine up untill now but is sudenly laggy and unresponsive. I get the same thing on my work lappy, viual studio is really quite hard to use and outlook can take a LONG time to get mail from the server. I've found that only surring a single client (1CPU only) ona HT box has helped, as has a good defreag, windows reinstall, and a reduction of TSR type programs.
It's really strange as it started happening all of a sudden, I will try a reset tonight and see if that helps.

Or is there a way to stop the current WU and delete a single WU?

Associate
I run stock client etc,, However I had a problem with 1 pc 2 weeks ago. With Boinc running, the whole thing slowed to a halt, with the cd rom eject taking 2 mins etc.

Then we had a call couple days ago 6 new dells, all wont load the usual progams that normally worked, (i'd installed boinc the day before).

So in my case I don't muck around, I disable the Boinc on startup. I may eventually go back and try to figure what is going on. But it is quicker for me to carry on assimilating the rest rather than stop and fix the odd one or 6 :p

Soldato
OP
Bulldog66 said:
I run stock client etc,, However I had a problem with 1 pc 2 weeks ago. With Boinc running, the whole thing slowed to a halt, with the cd rom eject taking 2 mins etc.

Then we had a call couple days ago 6 new dells, all wont load the usual progams that normally worked, (i'd installed boinc the day before).

So in my case I don't muck around, I disable the Boinc on startup. I may eventually go back and try to figure what is going on. But it is quicker for me to carry on assimilating the rest rather than stop and fix the odd one or 6 :p
That sounds very much like my problem and I had the same solution, unfortunately that means not running Seti :(

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
That sounds very much like my problem and I had the same solution, unfortunately that means not running Seti :(

you could always set them up with a profile to crunch during the night or manually suspecd / restart the projects as needed.

HT

Soldato
OP
happytechie said:
you could always set them up with a profile to crunch during the night or manually suspecd / restart the projects as needed.
Yeah, I haven't tested further as the time I can use the computer is limited.

The thing is that the system is really unstable as well, I could handle it if it was just slow but yesterday it also hang the computer and not crunch forcing me to reboot and as such I can't leave it running without some more testing.

I just can't think of what caused it, which makes troubleshooting more difficult.

Soldato
OP
I came home, computer was still fine, restarted Boinc, aborted the WU that was crunching and started a new one.

And it has been running fine for 10 minutes so maybe it was the WU that was causing the problems after all.

I will let it run for now, I'm going out now for a few hours and see how it goes when I get back.

Associate
I'd say give it a good defrag and have a good look inside the case. last time i had a laggy machine it was dust in the heat exchanger and hair/dust(cats here) on the tips of all the fan blades.

Defragged, shut down for a few hours while cleaning out and was super fast on restart.

Back
Top Bottom