I need help

Associate
I've got a persistant problem, it has continued through reinstalls and hardware tests.

The problem is this, my PC at random times just restarts. No warnings and nothing in the event viewer, I could be just watching youtube/netflix it restarts. I've monitored temps and they never go higher than 55c during gaming on ultra, it could restart playing Battlefield V or WoW.

My Hardware
CPU Ryzen 2700x under watercooling custom loop
ROG B450-f gaming with latest BIOS
16Gb's HyperX ddr4 3333
samsung pro 970 512gb
EVGA RTX 2070 ultra XC
4 x Samsung 850 pro
Thermaltake toughpower 750w

Here is what I've done so far.
I've memtest both dimms and I've run the machine under 8GB testing both sticks and it restarts regardless.
I've tried a 1070 from my other rig and it restarts again at random.

I havent' tried another mainboard or a different am4 chip as I don't have access to a spare.

So my main question is what tests can I perform to try and determine whether it's MB or CPU.

I thought it was a failing PSU, not supply the rails. I had an OCZ 750w and bought the thermaltake Toughpower 750w but I was wrong.

I've installed and reinstalled windows 10 with all updates, I have full AV installed I've cleaned everything.

My temps are 25-30c under normal conditions and 50-55c under load.
I've not overclocked the cpu, ram or the gpu.

I'm tempted to say the mainboard is cooky as the cpu would throw up other problems like controller issues and so on.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Shayne

Associate
have you tried to see if it could be a standoff issue. if you have an extra standoff touch the under side on your motherboard that can happen. I had it happen on a z77 mobo with my 2600k. p***ed me off for a week until someone suggested that. turns out I put one to many standoffs under my mobo.

Soldato
What speed is the RAM running at?

I believe it has to be just under 3000mhz for that CPU.

Not used Ryzen myself, but sure i have seen this mentioned before.

Associate
OP
Mr Mcgoo, thanks for the info I've ripped it all apart again hoping to find a rogue standoff but sadly nope, cheers anyways.

Freddie, thanks for the reply, it's running at native 3333mhz although it is forced using the bios, it wants to set the speed at 2800mhz, I'll underclock it and see if that improves stability.

Once again thanks a lot, I don't consider myself a novice but this is making wanna go back to atari.

edit: Freddie, you may of figuered it out https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_7/2700x I need to run under stock @2933Mhz max. I didn't even think of checking the controller limits, thank you bud.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just a follow up and a thank you, it's been a fair few days since I adjusted my ram speed and I can confirm that not one issue has been found. No restarts or crash's..

Thanks a lot Freddie, awesome advice.

Soldato
Just a follow up and a thank you, it's been a fair few days since I adjusted my ram speed and I can confirm that not one issue has been found. No restarts or crash's..

Thanks a lot Freddie, awesome advice.

Just so you are getting a little more bang for your buck, I think only 1st gen ryzen was limited to 2933mhz on the ram, if you got lucky though you could get 3200mhz out of it, however with 2nd gen ryzen, yours......ram was pretty much fixed, you should be able to run 3200mhz out of it, 3rd gen ryzen (latest) upped it again to 3600mhz and its looking like the next will allow for 4000mhz.

Back
Top Bottom