I need to get some more RAM, some help needed please

Permabanned
Hi Guys,

I have 2 slots for RAM 1 slot has already got a stick of 1GB of RAM i was hoping of removing it and buying 2 x 2GB RAM is this possible? Also do you know whats the best quality and cheapest possible 2 x 2GB RAM i can get does ocuk stock it?

thanks in advance

sorry guys for not getting back, thanks for all the replies

My PC specs are below:

Intel Pentium D 820 Dual Core Processor by ADVENT the model number is Advent T9107

2.8GHz Dual Core 800MHz FSB, 2 x 1MB Cache
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition + Service pack 2
1024MB DDR RAM
250GB Hard Disk Drive/ 2 Partitions
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
512MB Nvidia 8800 GT
6-in-1 Media Card Reader
4 USB 2.0 Connections
20.1" LG 203WT 1600x1050 Flat Panel Monitor

I am not sure what motherboard i have got as i am away from my computer right now but from an internet search it's seems to be the Asus P55D2 motherboard.

Hi 1337z0r

Thanks for the link, as i am using XP 32 bit i guess the ram will only show up as 3GB like Manbread said above. But even though it will show up as 3GB will the computer still use the 4GB?

Is 2GB the maximum you can get in 1 stick?

I currently have 1GB DDR1 but i want to exchange it for either 2x 1GB or 2 x 2GB of DDR2 RAM.

Please any help much appreciated

Many many thanks

oh by the way i was playing crysis yesyerday on this setup, and wow i tell you the graphics are absolutely awesome and this systems runs everything in high detail and super smooth but a bit of choppy frame rates when climbing mountains and looking down but after a few seonds of load in it's super smooth, extra ram should take level loading from 1 minute to 45 seconds and also allow me to play in ultra high detail settings. I have seen my system sell now excluding monitor for £350 New including VAT and the 512MB 8800GT is a medium budget card for under £160 including VAT and delivery.And i definitely recommend you get this system if you want to play all the latest games i am having a real blast.

but i thought my motherboard supports both ddr1 and ddr2, if so i should be able to remove the ddr1 and just get ddr2 ram sticks. so this is not possible then?

EDIT: also how much better is ddr2 compared to ddr1, percentage wise?

hi dano,

thanks for the reply, ddr1 to ddr2 is how much better percentage wise would you say?

and is ddr2 the best ram you can get or is there now ddr3 and ddr4 and above?

Back
Top Bottom