I need urgent help with my pc

Associate
help me - i have a problem with my pc and i dont know how to solve it.
when i boot up my computer,qiute a lot of the time i get the message
"boot error insert system disk and press enter" the computer will not start up windows and will stay at this screen
other times either during bootup or when the computer is already turned on running windows xp like normal i get the blue screen of death "machine check exception windows has shut down to prevent damage to yur computer blah blah"
if it doesnt do this, when i am using the computer the computer will freeeze - mouse prograns key board everything.... the only way to stop this is to reboot the computer and it may either start up normally or do one of the above
what shall/ cna i do - i know i can reformat and that this will wipe everything - i will therefore be free of the problem however:
1 what if it happens again in the future- i need to know what to do
2 i need to back up my computer first if a reformat is needed but i dont want to refoirmat if i can avoid it

please help me!!! the last thing i want to do is to have to pay to have this problem fixed and any and all help is much appreciated
thanks a lot
matthew :(

Associate
for the boot disk error, go into bios load your defaults and then see how it goes, as for ithe preven data crap, try running Memtest86 and maybe chkdsk

Soldato
check disk is in system tools, google for memtest and there should be an option to load defualt settings in your bios somewhere

Associate
1stly I would advise on adding a 2nd hdd no matter what the problem. I currently run a small 40gb as my windows drive and then a 120gb for storage. That way if anything cocks up I don't lose everything.

Add the 2nd hdd, then transfer the stuff you wanna keep, then do a low level format with a diagnostic tool boot disk (download from manufacturers website). The low level format will reset the hdd to manufacturers defaults.

Back
Top Bottom