i phones and Gmail push notifications?

Associate
I'm not a apple user and I have been asked a question, someone who uses the Gmail app said they never get notifications come through I did a quick Google search and I have seen some old posts saying the reason is Google and apple doesn't support push is this true?

Associate
OP
Are you sure as I have been reading that apples message app doesn't do push with a Gmail address. To get push notifications you have to use the Gmail app.

Soldato
It’s not just gmail.

It’s the same with Yahoo and Microsoft too.

You need to use their respective apps or you won’t receive push notifications.

But if you do use the apps, you will receive them.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
You will get notifications on Apple Mail but they might be delayed because Google uses a custom interface for push email which Apple doesn’t support. Push email is what makes the notifications “instant”.

The only way to have it work properly is to use Google’s Gmail app.

Mobster
Soldato
It’s not just gmail.

It’s the same with Yahoo and Microsoft too.

You need to use their respective apps or you won’t receive push notifications.

But if you do use the apps, you will receive them.

That’s wrong. You’ll get notifications on Apple Mail they just might not be instant. The app will poll on a set interval and you’ll get notifications then, I believe it’s 5 minutely. On macOS it can poll constantly when plugged in.

Soldato
That’s wrong. You’ll get notifications on Apple Mail they just might not be instant. The app will poll on a set interval and you’ll get notifications then, I believe it’s 5 minutely. On macOS it can poll constantly when plugged in.

It’s not incorrect.

You won’t receive push notifications because Apple doesn’t support them for these mail providers.

You’ll only receive notifications at the interval you specify - I.e. they fetch the notifications instead.

Associate
OP
This is all great thanks, I am going to have to find out more with whats going on in their phones. Some people have also reported they are getting emails from microsoft saying they are using a third party email app and they will have to update them by August, if they dont they wont be able to use their emails. At a guess I would say it's all to do with Apples message app and all you would have to do is to remove the email address account and then add it back again if they are using the mail app.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Ah yeah fair enough. Nevertheless though - the effect is the same.

You do need to use a different mail app to receive a notification as you receive the mail.

The mail app on Mac doesn’t do this for me even when plugged in and open.

That sounds like an error with your configuration. I get notifications on my Mac as soon as the email comes in.

Back
Top Bottom