I pulled this together

Would take a 7900xt over the 6950 xt it's 7% faster on average plus your Paying a £250 premium for that cooler on the 6950xt.

Psu is new 3.0 standard for the same price

Memory 6000mhz with tighter trimmings, cheaper with RGB bling :D

Yea the cooler is why I wanted it. I'm not confident enough to do watercooling . I see what you mean with the speeds but there's no other water-cooled gpu equivalent.

I might swap out the psu though that's a good shout.

What's the difference on the new 3.0 psu

If you want a fancy watercooler on your gpu then go for it nothing wrong with it but your in 7900 xtx Territory, I'm just giving you value options .

The atx 3.0 can deliver more power down a single cable like the 12 pin on Nvidias latest cards, I know that's not relevent with an AMD GPU but it's gives you that option in the future .
I've asked to swap the psu on the order . Thank you very much for insight.

They won't ship everything until the case and the cpu cooler are in stock anyway so I have time to look at the gpu .

Just need to know when the fractal case and the cooler will be available

If you want a fancy watercooler on your gpu then go for it nothing wrong with it but your in 7900 xtx Territory, I'm just giving you value options .

The atx 3.0 can deliver more power down a single cable like the 12 pin on Nvidias latest cards, I know that's not relevent with an AMD GPU but it's gives you that option in the future .
I ended up changing out the GPU as it wouldn't fit in the case properly

this is the end result, just have to wait for the case

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,980.82 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

£339 (incl. VAT)
£300 (incl. VAT)
£150 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£24 (incl. VAT)
£22 (incl. VAT)
£23 (incl. VAT)
£20 (incl. VAT)
I'd be getting a Zotac 4080 @ £1100, and a Phanteks P600S case instead.
I do like the phanteks cases. My current build has a phanteks cpu cooler and its amazing quality

I'm a suckered for this new wood look case from fractal and I especially like the mesh side panel with dual intake fans. I'm a big proponent of the cooler a system is the longer it'll last and my current build its 10 years old and going strong so I wanted the side fan action .

The cpu rad is going in the front so no real airpow from there. Instead I'll pull in from the side and vent out the top and back. That should vent the gpu heat and keep the ram and capacitors cool.

Ni
I have just put a build order in and after receiving some great advice from the guys here (mickyflinn) went through a few changes for performance increase and value for money such as the PSU and GPU. My build is below and while l didnt choose the case l really wanted in the end it was a small price to pay for the best components, as in the end budget was creeping a little too much lol. The prices arent listed but the spend is very ballpark at 2.6k, the GPU advice in particular is worth it as for me you really are into 7900xtx territory as mickyflinn mentioned.
I also opted for a motherboard that has PCIE 5 for GPU and M.2 in the interests of future proofing, l see the motherboard is £70 more expensive than your choice but in my opinion will be worth it. Ah to heck with it lm going to price up my build lol.

Phanteks Eclipse G360A + rear exhaust fan
Ryzen 7 7700X
Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI
Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C36 6000MHz
Aerocool Mirage L360 ARGB Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm
Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Pulse 24GB
WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive
be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Ah the case, memory and psu arent on the configurator but the build is somewhere between 2.6k to 2.7k, hope this helps in some way!

Edited to add, as l mentioned before l was all about future proofing especially when l was dropping 2k+ on the PC. I had originally intended to spend around 2.2/3k which dont get me wrong would have been a great PC, however the extra few hundred spend got me the am5 build, pcie 5 motherboard, 7900xtx and in the end a PC that will last for at least a few years in its current config. A big sway for me on the GPU was the xtx having 24GB of vram which seems to be the way a lot of games are going to be gobbling up. The AMD drivers dont seem to be the best at the moment from what l read on the web but improvements are being made.
Ce build very similar to what I ended up with for the same reasons.
I have just put a build order in and after receiving some great advice from the guys here (mickyflinn) went through a few changes for performance increase and value for money such as the PSU and GPU. My build is below and while l didnt choose the case l really wanted in the end it was a small price to pay for the best components, as in the end budget was creeping a little too much lol. The prices arent listed but the spend is very ballpark at 2.6k, the GPU advice in particular is worth it as for me you really are into 7900xtx territory as mickyflinn mentioned.
I also opted for a motherboard that has PCIE 5 for GPU and M.2 in the interests of future proofing, l see the motherboard is £70 more expensive than your choice but in my opinion will be worth it. Ah to heck with it lm going to price up my build lol.

Phanteks Eclipse G360A + rear exhaust fan
Ryzen 7 7700X
Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI
Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C36 6000MHz
Aerocool Mirage L360 ARGB Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm
Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Pulse 24GB
WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive
be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Ah the case, memory and psu arent on the configurator but the build is somewhere between 2.6k to 2.7k, hope this helps in some way!

Edited to add, as l mentioned before l was all about future proofing especially when l was dropping 2k+ on the PC. I had originally intended to spend around 2.2/3k which dont get me wrong would have been a great PC, however the extra few hundred spend got me the am5 build, pcie 5 motherboard, 7900xtx and in the end a PC that will last for at least a few years in its current config. A big sway for me on the GPU was the xtx having 24GB of vram which seems to be the way a lot of games are going to be gobbling up. The AMD drivers dont seem to be the best at the moment from what l read on the web but improvements are being made.
Nice build very similar to what I ended up with and for the same reasons.

having serious trouble getting the gpu to work, i t keeps freezing up on me, disappearing from the devmgmt, I've tried multiple fixes, not sure if the actual card is kaput as sometimes it loads in and work only to freeze up and disappear a second later under no load

rest of the system appears to be perfectly fine, the card is seated in the pcie 5.0 x16 slot.

it was the 5.0 slot, i put it down in the 4.0 and it worked immediately and ran a benchmark, so either the 5.0 slot is not working correctly, or its not compatible and does not support backwards compatibility on gpu's

i wish i could get a different card than the reference one but its the only one that will fit in my new case

At least you found a culprit. Maybe there is an option to disable use of PCIE 5.0 mode? Actually, I have found weird issue with my system after upgrading. After restart/boot my main monitor (4k 144Hz) which is connected via hdmi 2.1 is still sleeping, to fix that I have to switch out of extended display mode and back in with WIN+P. It is kind of annoying.
I'll take a look its not a major problem its not like pcie 5.0 is even a thing or needed yet.

Next I need to try and get this 6400 ram to post under xmp

There is no point to OC really. GPU power limit increase might send hotspot temps close to 110 especially you mentioned having a tiny case. All I done to my Ryzen 7900 was set the PBO curve -10.
I just undervolted and a couple other things. Bumped me about 15% on the benchmark.

Stays nice and cool capping at 82c under 100% load

Just a little update on this, ive got cyberpunk on extreme with about 120 mods including superpopulation and some crazy shaders and its not even touching the walls of this thing, even in heavy load its only getting to about 68 c and i still dont have my case with the proper airflow yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom