I regret going 1440p

Permabanned
Many say 144 hz is the new holy grail, but my ultrawide is the alternative holy grail I went for. Getting both UW and 144 Hz would be a nightmare for PC upgrading that I'm keen to avoid.

so your also using 1440 at 60hz, even thought you say 144hz is better?

i know the type of games he means now, never called them Twitch games and until this day never known them to be called that

Soldato
I have a 1080p 120Hz monitor and whilst I see a massive difference between 30-60 FPS, anything above that is a bit lost on me tbh. I was playing BC2 on my laptop yesterday and getting around 35 fps, so for me it was just playable but I was definitely losing out on the twitch front compared to areas where I could achieve 50+ fps.

It's not a term I hear much now, but basically it is talking about any game that needs or relies on fast responses. Although that kind of twitch response shows up in most shooters at some point, I guess the person who mentioned twitch games means games like CSGO / R6S; games where having the fastest response is what is needed to win. So having low latency and a high refresh rate monitor gives you an edge over those who don't.

<3 Rainbow Six was definitely the glory days of FPS.

Associate
so your also using 1440 at 60hz, even thought you say 144hz is better?

i know the type of games he means now, never called them Twitch games and until this day never known them to be called that

Twitch is more about the playstyle/mechanical skill than the games, but some games embody that playstyle or rely more heavily on that skill than others so I can see why a person might refer to them as 'twitch games'. It is a phrase I've heard from casters, reviewers and forum members, but not often.

These days if you hear the term twitch you'll likely be talking about the streaming platform which takes its name from said playstyle/mechanics.

Soldato
Many say 144 hz is the new holy grail

Ha! Maybe 6 years ago! But you are right everyone has a different standard as to what is best for them. If I were into CS:go for example I'ld deffo be running a 240hz monitor 1080p.

As it stands all I need is my old trusty 120hz monitor, the main game I play runs between 100fps and 120fps so thats all I need really.

Associate
How much more gpu power is needed for ultra wide at the same resolution.

About 25%-30% more. There's about 5 mil pixels to push instead of 3.7 mil. Some games/GPUs seem to incur the full penalty for each extra pixel, and some seem to handle the jump a bit more efficiently.

For me personally 60hz monitors hurt my eyes, I don't know what it is about them but they just do, both 144 & 165hz Monitors I've had have eliminated this problem.

CRTs running at 60 hz were a pain on the eyes due to flicker, which became pretty much unnoticeable at 75 hz and completely imperceptible at 85 hz. Not sure how 60 hz could still hurt eyes now :p

Ree

Ree

Associate
i've only recently went to 1440p from 1080p and man am glad i did everything looks so much more crisp. i honestly could never see myself regretting it but everyone's different.

Permabanned
About 25%-30% more. There's about 5 mil pixels to push instead of 3.7 mil. Some games/GPUs seem to incur the full penalty for each extra pixel, and some seem to handle the jump a bit more efficiently. :p

With ultra wide you would need higher refresh rate because if the extra panel size you would notice tearing more? or is it just the same?
OR would you be better with freesync/Gsync?

Associate
With ultra wide you would need higher refresh rate because if the extra panel size you would notice tearing more? or is it just the same?
OR would you be better with freesync/Gsync?

It's the same in my opinion (aka just as intolerable), but Vsync and borderless full screen seem to eliminate any screen tearing, so it's not been an issue. Freesync or Gsync would've been ideal, but when I bought my monitor ultrawide had just arrived and Gsync, Freesync, and higher refresh rate options weren't even out yet for 3440x1440 panels.

Associate
i do really fancy an ultra wide. but i think it may come with a new GPU bill too

There's 2560x1080 UWs available, though they apparently look rather pixelated. I ran at 3440x1440 on a GTX 970 until very recently, and I'd still rate the 21:9 UW as a better experience than what I'd have got at 16:9 with higher frames in my opinion. But then that's me, and I'd become aware I was frustrated with the 16:9 aspect ratio even before ultrawides existed.

Permabanned
There's 2560x1080 UWs available, though they apparently look rather pixelated. I ran at 3440x1440 on a GTX 970 until very recently, and I'd still rate the 21:9 UW as a better experience than what I'd have got at 16:9 with higher frames in my opinion. But then that's me, and I'd become aware I was frustrated with the 16:9 aspect ratio even before ultrawides existed.

I am at 32" 1440 right now I don't want to drop res I feel that would ruin the experience.

Associate
That's an impressive screen already then. I went to my 34" 3440x1440 UW from a 24" 1080p monitor. Needless to say I was blown away by this monstrous mega-sharp monitor coming from what I'd been using.

Soldato
I originally went to 1440p for non gaming reasons, needed screen real estate.

You can always play 1080p or 1200p windowed which I do sometimes with some games. I say windowed because otherwise you get scaling issues.

1200p windowed sort of imitates my old 1050p 22inch screen setup in terms of viewable area and pixel density.

Of course I have no requirement to play at 144fps I just see zero benefit with in the type of games I play so I dont have the same problem you have.

Back
Top Bottom