I think my power supply is dying.

Associate
My system is a sandy bridge I7 @ 4.8GHZ with 8gig of ram, a Gtx 1080, a 1tb hard drive and a 128gb ssd. The power supply is a thermaltake 750w unit, it's about 7 years old. Now this might sound strange but my system has been rock solid for years until last week when I bought a ROG Swift pg279q. Ever since then when I play games mainly Bf4 it will shut down after a few minutes, no Bsod nothing just a complete shut down, and then it will start itself back up, Like I say it was running fine last week on my 144hz 1080p monitor now since going to 1440p it just shuts down. It has done it twice on Overwatch in the space of around 30 mins. I had to down clock the Gtx 1080 to keep it from shutting down. Sorry if this is all over the place it's really hard to type on a phone when your on a bus lol.

Man of Honour
Fair few things you need to eliminate there - the 1080 being a fairly new addition being one.

That is often a potential sign of a PSU failing - in older PSUs the capacitors tend to have seen their better days once you are getting upto around 10 years of good use. It is also potentially a symptom of your CPU having degraded over time.

Associate
Yes, try the 780 again. If it still does the same thing, it's not the graphics card. I would think the PSU may have degraded over time, although as Rroff points out, it could also be CPU degredation.

Soldato
Yes, try the 780 again. If it still does the same thing, it's not the graphics card. I would think the PSU may have degraded over time, although as Rroff points out, it could also be CPU degredation.

Won't be CPU degradation as he turned off his overclocks my guess would be the PSU.

Associate
OP
Right the gtx 780 ran fine, put my 1080 back in and that seems fine so far? Maybe it just needed resat in the mobo? Or might have been driver related not sure? Going to have to test more to see if its ok now.

Associate
OP
Pc started to shut off with the 1080 back in, so I bought a Evga 750 G2 put it in and no problems. I was starting to think the 1080 was bust, what with the 780 working fine, but I went with my gut feeling over the Psu. So happy days!

Back
Top Bottom