I use IE - should I use FireFox?

Man of Honour
mctiny said:

Thanks for that.

I actually wrote a search engine that is quite useful and if anybody wants to expand on it go ahead.
It is a Google search with most of the 'best price' sites taken out.
Somebody on these forums did help with a bit of syntax if I remember correctly.
Put the two files in your searchplugins directory.

Google -prices

Soldato
People write more Trojans and Spyware for IE than they do for FF or Opera.. hence why I have FF and Opera installed and ignore/hide IE from the missus!!!...

Plus the OcUK extension for FF is fantastic!!.. :D

Associate
Oh I fogot - Mouse Gestures (Mouse Gestures plugin for Firefox, built into Opera) :D

I simply can't live without these four simple ones:
(Hold Down right mouse button) Move Left > Right, opens new tab
(Hold Down right mouse button) Move Right > Left, closes current tab
Click Left Mouse Button then Right Mouse Button to go forward
Click Right Mouse Button then Left Mouse Button to go back

This has been the thing that has changed the way I browse the web the most, it's just so quick and elegant now :)

Associate
I'm happy to say I've never used IE as my main browser in over 12 years of internet use. I started with Netscape - v2 probably - went to v7 with a touch of Opera on the way, but didn't like Opera ads. Now I've setled on FF with some extensions.
Same thing with mail - never used any flavour of Outlook. Now on Thunderbird, also with some extensions.
I do like Opera's image on/off switching though. The closest FF has come is ImagePref, but that isn't 100% with frames, and is tucked away on the status bar.
No other gripes at all.

Soldato
The solid tabbed browsing makes reading forums so much nicer. Entering a forum and opening each post of interest in a new background tab is a much nicer experience than opening whole new windows or hopping back to the topic index all the time. Quicker too.

Associate
mctiny said:
and you can get an IE plugin thats allows you to view IE only sites within Firefox.;)
There are two 'use IE' extensions:

1. IE Tabs lets you open a link in a new tab using IE 'rules'. Also there is an icon on the status bar which will switch the current tab to an IE view and back again. You can also set links so they always use an IE tab - but I must admit I've known this to fail.

2. IE View lets you set sites so they always open in a 'real' instance of IE. This can be unset when incompatible sites get round to recoding to remove IE restrictions. This extension also lets you open a one-off real instance of IE for the current page.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the two methods.

Soldato
I'd stick with IE-View. The IE-Tab extension is very clever but a little unstable in my experience. It crashed the whole Firefox application a few times.

Anyway, hopefully these plugins will be redundant soon, when the last of the ridiculous IE-only sites sort themselves out.

Associate
Maxthon is the only way to go...

Uses the IE rendering engine so no problems with viewing sites and adds tabbed browsing, ad blockers, mouse gestures, scripting, add ins yadayada yada and did it all long before FF was released and claimed it was innovative :p

Clicky

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom