I want to build a HTPC / Media Centre... Help!

Soldato
Hello all,

Right - I've decided that I want to build a HTPC / Home Media Centre PC.

Please could anybody advise on what are the key components needed and which one's are recommended.

Ideally - I would like to use my existing Shuttle.

But I need advise on what TV Tuner Card / GFX card to go for and how does this MCE remote business work with it? and what software will I need?

Thanks!

Good build guide here ;)

Key components are TV Card & Windows MCE (+ remote control). Processor, you want to look for something that doesn't require heavy cooling (=noise). A64's are good because of Cool & Quite - performance only when really needed. Bear in mind any decent TV Card can handle encoding, so that takes away the load from the processor.

What model is your Shuttle then maybe I can (or someone) else whack you up a list?

Socket 478, right? OcUK don't seem to sell them anymore (even in Clearance & B-Grade sections). Should be available elsewhere though, new and or second-hand. The thing with those processors is that they ran quite hot. This calls for more research, because I think you might be able to get away with a Celeron processor as opposed to a ‘hot’ Pentium 4.
Whateva processor you go for, I’d recommend the following for the build (from OcUK Shop):
  • Samsung SpinPoint T HD300LD 300GB ATA-133 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-027-SA) £75.14
    Considered very quite & reliable, also enough space to record hours of TV.
  • OcUK Value 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 184pin DDR Memory Dual Channel Kit (MY-004-OK) £56.34
    1GB should be enough for recording even while doing other things e.g. watching TV
  • XFX GeForce 6200 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT44ARAMG) (GX-048-XF) £29.32
    Passively cooled (= quite) and has all the connectors you need
  • Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 Media Centre Edition TV Tuner (GX-027-HA) £59.87
    MPEG-2 encoder and Windows MCE Remote control included
  • Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre 2005 Edition - OEM - 1Pk (M93-00200) (SW-008-MS) £76.32

If you want a cheaper option, the Leadtek TV cards are MCE compatible, and you can install two of them. I have a P4 MCE machine with one in and it works good.

Virdi said:
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 Media Centre Edition TV Tuner

Is this a twin tuner card? Freeview?

Thanks
No, single tuner and no Freeview :(

There's Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1300 Media Centre Edition Freeview TV Tuner (GX-026-HA) £82.19 which is Freeview capable and has Dual-Tuners, see here.

Use WinTV-HVR-1300 MCE as a second TV tuner in your Media Center PC. Record two TV shows at the same time!
Oopps :o Read that & assumed its Dual/Twin.

In that case you'll have to decide which you require more (Freeview or Dual) because you only have one PCI slot, right?

Virdi said:
yep!

Only one PCI slot :(

Someone must do a card that has Freeview and Twin Tuners?

Yep but they are expensive.

Ocuk sell the "Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 Media Centre Edition Dual TV Tuner" for £110.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom