I want to learn c++

Man of Honour
Hey people,

I last used C++ in anger in about 2004/5. I wasn't terribly good at it but could sort of muddle through other peoples' code and fix bugs here and there, whilst probably creating a whole load more.
The company swapped to C# for new products and the legacy ones were pretty much instantly abandoned (because they worked, weren't going to be updated with new functionality and hardly any customers still used them).

I've decided that 12 years later, having done basically no development work (mostly testing/hardware stuff) that I should probably learn c++ - just for myself rather than a career. I'm currently doing no development really, other than writing system tests occasionally in a Java-like thing called Apex.

The last time I tried to LEARN C++ I failed. University didn't really teach me anything; our C++ lecturer was a PhD student that just wanted to go on about how many girls he'd been with at the weekend.
I have "Accelerated C++" book, but looking at it it basically makes little sense to me. I am sure it's a good book because someone I was at uni with learned c++ way better than I or anyone else did and he did it via this book.

I don't really have access to MSDN anymore. Well no, I do not have any access to it. I have a macbook from work, and a PC at home, which I guess could run some kinda express version of visual studio... what exists for mac? That's my main (most accessible) machine at the moment.

Is it even worth it? I could learn C# again, but I'd like to learn C++ also.
Ideally at the end I could have some kind of application with a user interface that I can control some hardware with, like an arduino but a quick glance seems to suggest C++ isn't the best way.... but still...

Any suggestions? Assume I know NOTHING of the language or programming. I really need to start again from the ground up, as I can remember so little of anything.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm I guess you're right. I don't think I'll be writing any game engines but I might want to dip my toes into Unreal Engine, for example. Last time I looked at it Kismet was new and exciting... probably UE3 when it first came out.

Maybe I'll just go back to C#... ok same question :) Any best resources for that?

Back
Top Bottom