I want to run some ethernet cables round my house...

Associate
At the moment my home network is primarily wireless but for one reason or another i want to run an ethernet cable or two from my router to other rooms in my house. I want to terminate the cable in a nice little wall socket and so i can just plug a shorter ethernet cable in to the wall socket whenever i need to.

I went to ******.co.uk and it all got complicated... cat6 modular outlet, cat6 outlet, network outlet, rj45 modular outlet. wtf!?

Could someone please spell it out in layman's terms exactly what i need. Links would be great!

Thanks.

Caporegime
Links would be a challenge, given the majority of folks that sell that kit also sell the kind of kit the shop sells.

RJ45 = the plug on the end of a network cable.
Cat5/5e/6 = varieties of network cable. Cat 5e is plenty for gigabit ethernet, Cat 6 is fine to 10 gigabit.
An outlet, modular or otherwise, is going to be the bit on the wall you're after. Cat6 outlet = RJ45 outlet, more or less.

Associate
OP
OK so if i get get:

1x 20m cat5e patch cable
1x RJ45 modular wall outlet
1x 2m cat5e patch cable

Run the 20m to where-ever i have installed the wall outlet.
Cut off the RJ45 connector and wire it in to the wall outlet.
Connect the smaller cable to my PC.

Everything should work?

Suspended
Don't buy network stuff from high street stores, they're a rip off. I run network cable around the house and just use a cable from room to room, can't be bothered with trunking, boxes etc. Cable is pretty cheap, but you need tools to attach the terminals onto the ends as you cut them.

I guess if you have a large LAN worthwhile with hubs and such.

Soldato
we have 4 bedrooms upstairs at home, router is in one of the rooms, then we just threw network cable from the router up in the loft, going to each bedroom, so each room as a ethernet cable (drilled down into the cupboards)

for anythin downstairs we use wireless, couldnt be easier :)

Associate
Have fun, I've just been doing this........ :p

6 Sockets in the loft room, and another 6 in my room, all down through to the cupboard under the stairs where a switch will reside

Associate
Got a carrier bag of networking stuff sat on one side. My main reason for thinking about hard wiring was:

1. I need to plumb in some phone sockets anyway so might as well make them double sockets (ie phone & ADSL).
2. I assumed lan & internet gaming would be more stable on hard wiring rather than wireless. [Is there any logic to this assumption?]

Soldato
I really wouldn't buy 2 x 20m patch cables and chop the ends off. I paid ~£15 for a 100m reel of CAT5e, and I bet those two patch cables will cost you more than that.

Associate
I use the Powerline stuff a lot, when it comes to homes and wireless, sometimes it just dont work, dead spots, lead in paint etc etc.

The Powerline stuff works in tandum with your wireless.

As your just looking for one point in one room, its as simple as, plug it into a socket near the router, one in the room. plug in ya pc to one end, router to other. thats it. up and running in 5min, no drills :). if ya need more outlets just get another adapter and plug it in that room.

The new stuff works a treat for vids, games etc, even the older stuff is ok imho, yet to see one complant from them in over 2 years putting them into places.

The best bit is you can just unplug and move them when ya want too move your pc, unlike hardwireing :)

The wireless extenders are just as simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom