• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 1035G1 or Ryzen 5 4500u, which is better?

Soldato
Looking for a 2 in 1 laptop and got my sights on the ideapad flex 5 14" models which so far price wise range from £570-£700.

i5 1035g1 being the cheapest
R5 4500u next up
R7 4700u at top

I was thinking the 4700u, but 700 quid is a lot of money, but not sure which is better out the other 2.

Ideally want it to perform better than my R5 3550h in normal usage and would like a 6 or 8 core if feasible.

4500u would be my choice out of those. The 1035g1 runs at 1ghz everything above that is boost, which may well end up being thermally limited (i.e. can't sustain it for extended periods of time) - the AMD chips at least have a reasonable base clock.

The 4700u probably isn't worth the extra for most normal laptop usage

Thanks for replies.

I did a lot of research and back and fourth over these and decided against the intel, even an 11th gen I would regret as its not a short term purchase and ideally wanted to try move on from 4 cores, so in the end I am getting help to purchase it and gone for the 4700u. Anything from 600 quid is a lot of money when it's not a gaming laptop, but 8 cores is a move in the right direction plus it was the only one with 512gb ssd. while they are all 8gb ram models the other 2 only had 256gb drives and figured bigger the better for a single drive choice. I was going to look at the yoga 7i as it's the better range, but its more expensive, has the 4500u and 256gb storage, so didn't feel a good overall deal. Only plus would've been the pen I have purchased separately.

I use it for design, me and my partner have recently started our own made business and my side of things involves designing, 3D printing etc, so figured even under light usage of software it made sense to get the better processor.

Thanks for replies.

I did a lot of research and back and fourth over these and decided against the intel, even an 11th gen I would regret as its not a short term purchase and ideally wanted to try move on from 4 cores, so in the end I am getting help to purchase it and gone for the 4700u. Anything from 600 quid is a lot of money when it's not a gaming laptop, but 8 cores is a move in the right direction plus it was the only one with 512gb ssd. while they are all 8gb ram models the other 2 only had 256gb drives and figured bigger the better for a single drive choice. I was going to look at the yoga 7i as it's the better range, but its more expensive, has the 4500u and 256gb storage, so didn't feel a good overall deal. Only plus would've been the pen I have purchased separately.

I use it for design, me and my partner have recently started our own made business and my side of things involves designing, 3D printing etc, so figured even under light usage of software it made sense to get the better processor.

4700u can game :) I game (not AAA) on mine all the time and it handles things actually pretty well. Things like Saints row, Baloons TD, defence grid, older games run a treat on it :) I have the Envy x360 and its been a great machine and the 4700u a great APU.

Back
Top Bottom