• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5-7400 worth it over the I3-7100?

Soldato
Hi, just looking at a spec on the OcUK custom built home pcs for my brother, looking for building a PC for most home office stuff and Football Manager, he might add a dedicated graphics card in the future, but looking at there here & now it'll be for standard home/office use and playing that one game.

Just thinking it might be better to save about £90 on the upgrade CPU cost where we might not really see any discernible day to day difference?

Soldato
Purely going on whats in the configurator, and trying to not go over £600, don't have the time to build one for him so preconfigured with limited options is the best I can do for him right now.

Call them, and ask them to do a spec for you.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £430.20
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Bit harsh doing him out of a more modern CPU, and board for a few minutes on the phone. :)

EDIT: I just realised you probably don't need the SSD! ;)

Soldato
OP
:D just put an email into Damin (I think, couldn't get his name fully!! Any mods/employees able to give me an email address incase I'm wrong? :D)

Soldato
OP
I can't see him ever upgrading the cpu, he's not the typical kind of user you get on here, he's still currently running an E5100 Vista PC from about 2008! This'll be there for 6 years + and I really doubt hell even ho the graphics card route!

Soldato
I can't see him ever upgrading the cpu, he's not the typical kind of user you get on here, he's still currently running an E5100 Vista PC from about 2008! This'll be there for 6 years + and I really doubt hell even ho the graphics card route!

Fair enough but if does decide to upgrade the card,its better to have a better quality PSU. AFAIK,Klolink has made some solid cheap PSUs,but also some with hit and miss component quality. Spending another £15 to £20 its worth it especially if he keeps the system that long since the capacitor quality will be better and that is what usually degrades over time. IIRC,the CX and CXM series have 5 year warranties too.

Man of Honour
Call them, and ask them to do a spec for you.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £430.20
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Bit harsh doing him out of a more modern CPU, and board for a few minutes on the phone. :)

EDIT: I just realised you probably don't need the SSD! ;)

That psu is crap. It only has 288w on the 12v rail plus nobody knows much about them at all.

Soldato
That psu is crap. It only has 288w on the 12v rail plus nobody knows much about them at all.

Ok, and is 288w not enough for an i3? I'll put this one out to the OCUK staff, you probably sell hundreds of these in office style systems, what is the RMA rate of the item please? @Gibbo will have the return rates since he will work closely with the RMA team being the chief-purchaser bloke.

Soldato
Its easy to do I suppose!! Come on AMD,get Raven Ridge out! Intel's secret weapon against Ryzen. Not more MHZ,or more cores,its the cool glow of the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 integrated graphics!! :cool:

:p

Next year for Desktop APU's, Q1 '18 right around the Zen refresh, although the mobile APU's should give a decent idea of what to expect. It's going to be a game changer in the lower end market, that's for sure, a 4c/8t part with a Vega GPU equal to that of an RX460 built in, for the price of a low end i5. :)

Back
Top Bottom