Who is Right?

• Big.Wayne

Votes: 90 41.3%
  • easyrider

Votes: 128 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
If I had i5 750 with 4 cores, 4 threads with 2 fans push pull with air cooler (don't know what the real temperature will be like on the 4.0Ghz ? However, I did test with my current i7 920 with 4 cores, 4 threads with 2 fans push pull with a prolimatech megahalems with a 2 hours full load on prime95 with temperature stayed around 65C max. See above:
2drwd3q.jpg

And with i7 920 with 4 cores / 8 threads is a max temperature of 70C !

Associate
well i saw that - and then i saw a quad radiator
if i only did air cooling results, you wouldnt be impressed
so i decided to go all out and use the most ridiculous cooling method i had available :D

I just listened to that Youtube link you gave - 4 OF THEM?????? :eek:

Ear defenders mandatory - if you were told to use them you should be able to threaten Health and Safety!:D

Soldato
Just read the AnandTech "review" of the new CPU's http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

The part on overclocking was a] Very interesting and b] somewhat confusing with turbo on or off!

I'm not sure I entirely agree with his conclusion that only the i7-975 makes sense any more; If you are going to run 2 or more GPUs, but aren't prepared to spend the money on an EE CPU, the i7 920 is a better choice than any of the Lynnfields once you start overclocking to the 4GHz range. The extra PCIe bandwidth is important for multi GPU setups.

Soldato
Doesn't the new Zalman CNPS10x fit P55 mobos?

Would be interesting to see how these things were under air cooling instead of a quad rad with 4 Delta fans!

@bulldog, why are you comparing your i920 to an i5????

Because i5 core is nothing special to me really. I stick with my favourite i7 as I don't understand why everyones aim to try out i5 core because it had no HT on it. As for lower temperatures that rjkoneill did with i5 core because of really loud 4 delta fans with his water cooling, with 4 threads on it will not going to beat the i7 !

I will kept my saving until a better i9 core come out !

Soldato
Doesn't the new Zalman CNPS10x fit P55 mobos?

Would be interesting to see how these things were under air cooling instead of a quad rad with 4 Delta fans!

@bulldog, why are you comparing your i920 to an i5????

Because they "might" turn out to clock and cooler than his new system he has bought!!

this would explain why Intel planned to drop the 920/950, it seems it has superceeded by these new chips!!

Soldato
Bulldog, you crack me up mate seriously!

These chips are basically a cheaper alternative to i7.

You own an i7, big deal, get over it already!!!

No-one here ever said they were better than i7 920's did they?

However, I can guarantee that you wont see any difference whatsoever between a 920 and 750 in gaming.

Most of the guys upgrading to i5's are coming from Core 2 based systems, so they will see a significant performance boost with this upgrade.

Also, HT isn't the be all and end all of computers, what do you use your system for that requires HT may I ask?

Tell me an app you use that you NEED HT for??

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
bulldog - no offence...

you are making comparisons that make no sense
surely the name i5, should indicate to you that it is a lower model and that performance will not be exactly the same?

i compared the i5 in the original post to a phenom 955 and an i7 to show the performance scale
i think i did a good job of giving everyone a good idea of how they compare to what else is on the market currently

we really dont need to see your benchmarks

AGAIN

Soldato
Because i5 core is nothing special to me really. I stick with my favourite i7 as I don't understand why everyones aim to try out i5 core because it had no HT on it. As for lower temperatures that rjkoneill did with i5 core because of really loud 4 delta fans with his water cooling, with 4 threads on it will not going to beat the i7 !

I will kept my saving until a better i9 core come out !

Because the i5 is a CHEAPER alternative to the i7? Is that difficult for you to understand? Doesn't the name give it away? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Good thread :)

I don't rate HT Bulldog, I suspect I'm going to end up with it turned off. Too many programs use two cores only and choose a physical and a hyperthreaded, I'd rather it run on two physical. However I very much rate triple channel memory, so am happy with x58.

My main conclusion from this thread is that I want better radiator fans :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I get very confused here, as I am surely remember a while back everyones ask me why disabled HT on i7 ? as HT is useful to get more performance but if everyones think i5 is the best performance than i7, then I probably switch over to i5 because they telling me it lots cheaper than i7 at the moment.

I wait until air cooler result of what is the temperature is like on the i5 for overclock 4.2Ghz ? If less than mine, then I probably will end up buy i5 bundles from ocuk.

Soldato
I get very confused here, as I am surely remember a while back everyones ask me why disabled HT on i7 ? as HT is useful to get more performance but if everyones think i5 is the best performance than i7, then I probably switch over to i5 because they telling me it lots cheaper than i7 at the moment.

I wait until air cooler result of what is the temperature is like on the i5 for overclock 4.2Ghz ? If less than mine, then I probably will end up buy i5 bundles from ocuk.

Why switch when you already have an i7? that really makes no sense to me.

i5s are great, but not better, they are just cheaper.

Soldato
I thought it suppose to be free delivery via ocuk shopping list if I am a member of OCUK forum ? it appear ocuk still charged for delivery ?

UPDATED: I had now updated my account to add the forum member as I should have done that ages ago when I had 250 posts.

Last edited:
Associate

Hyperthreading is useful if you run applications that can make use of it.

Nobody is saying i5 is BEST, people are saying it is the better option for THEM personally.

i5 is cheaper but this doesn't matter for you as you've already bought the i7.

It'd be like me selling my q6600 because an e5200 is cheaper, just pointless.

Caporegime

HT is beneficial it's just you need applications that max out the CPU and can use up to 8 thread, there's no point in running something that only uses 2-4 threads and chastising HT for not giving any benefit.

i5 is inferior to i7 so not sure why you would want to switch, it's just a good value alternative (supposed to be anyway) for those wanting to save a bit of cash.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I suppose so ! It just one of those things making me re-think shall I get i5 or stick with i7 what I got ?

why would you downgrade

i7 is the enthusiast platform

i5 is gaming and mainstream

the whole point of this thread was to gain results and show this fact

the reason we turn HT on with i7 is because it is there - so we use it
i5 doesnt use HT - as it is not needed on the mainstream platform

Associate
I'm really confused with this HT thingy ....

If you are not going to upgrade for another 4 year plus, is it worth spending the extra on the 920 or 860 for the HT, considering we will be doing light video encoding ?

Or say in three years time when software uses four cores then there would be no benefit in HT ?

Back
Top Bottom